POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Malware is getting nastier and more professional than ever : Re: Malware is getting nastier and more professional than ever Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Malware is getting nastier and more professional than ever
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 12 Mar 2008 13:45:06
Message: <47d824b2$1@news.povray.org>
> That depends on what type of machine you bought.  If you go out and
> purchase a brand-name computer, the OS is already installed.
>
> If you build your own, this is true, but most machines the OS is already
> pre-installed.

True. But I'd wager that MBR protection is probably turned off on most
machines out there.

(Similarly, most have a BIOS write-protect feature so malware can't
reflash the BIOS. And that's usually off. But then, any such malware
would only work for one brand of motherboard anyway since there's no
standard interface for that kind of thing...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/