POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old photographs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Old photographs (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: Warp
Subject: Old photographs
Date: 8 Mar 2008 12:09:30
Message: <47d2c84a@news.povray.org>
I apologize for the more blog-style posting, but...

  Somehow I find some old photographs to be really fascinating. The older
the photograph, the more fascinating. For example, consider this photograph
taken in 1897:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/HatfieldClan.jpg

  Even though this is just a posed photo (and they have clearly suited up
for the photo instead of being their casual clothes) you can still read a
lot from the photo when you really start to examine it. It can excite your
imagination a lot if you study it long enough.

  Or take for example this panoramic photo of RMS Lusitania taken in 1907:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/The_Lusitania_at_end_of_record_voyage_1907_LC-USZ62-64956.jpg

  The amount of interesting detail in this photo is staggering.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>  I apologize for the more blog-style posting, but...
>
>  Somehow I find some old photographs to be really fascinating. The older
> the photograph, the more fascinating. For example, consider this
> photograph
> taken in 1897:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/HatfieldClan.jpg
>
>  Even though this is just a posed photo (and they have clearly suited up
> for the photo instead of being their casual clothes) you can still read a
> lot from the photo when you really start to examine it. It can excite your
> imagination a lot if you study it long enough.

    You're not kidding. I love these photo's too, but did you notice the boy
wearing a dress, (left, top row)? And is that, (shall we say), a 'short'
blond haired lady to the right? It makes you think about what the mindset of
these people was like back then. Hard times indeed.

>  Or take for example this panoramic photo of RMS Lusitania taken in 1907:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/The_Lusitania_at_end_of_record_voyage_1907_LC-USZ62-64956.jpg

>  The amount of interesting detail in this photo is staggering.

     All I see is that we are more powerful than ants with that ship there.
;)

       Nice images.

        ~Steve~

> --
>                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>     You're not kidding. I love these photo's too, but did you notice the boy
> wearing a dress, (left, top row)?

  According to the caption that's "Rosa Lee Hatfield (daughter of Anderson)".
Might have a boyish face (at least in this photo), but most probably a girl.

> And is that, (shall we say), a 'short'
> blond haired lady to the right?

  Who?

> >  Or take for example this panoramic photo of RMS Lusitania taken in 1907:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/The_Lusitania_at_end_of_record_voyage_1907_LC-USZ62-64956.jpg

> >  The amount of interesting detail in this photo is staggering.

>      All I see is that we are more powerful than ants with that ship there.
> ;)

  One thing I find interesting in that foto are the "taxis". Quite different
from modern taxis, but already crowding places like that. :)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   The amount of interesting detail in this photo is staggering.

I bet they spent *years* modeling it :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

>>     You're not kidding. I love these photo's too, but did you notice the
>> boy
>> wearing a dress, (left, top row)?
>
>  According to the caption that's "Rosa Lee Hatfield (daughter of
> Anderson)".
> Might have a boyish face (at least in this photo), but most probably a
> girl.

    Ok, I missed the caption, but looking at all the females there, yes,
they all have short hair styled like a man's, except for the blond girl to
the right behind the boy holding the gun. Is that another girl possibly
sitting on a chair?

>> And is that, (shall we say), a 'short'
>> blond haired lady to the right?
>
>  Who?

    The blond girl above.

>> >  Or take for example this panoramic photo of RMS Lusitania taken in
>> > 1907:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/The_Lusitania_at_end_of_record_voyage_1907_LC-USZ62-64956.jpg

>> >  The amount of interesting detail in this photo is staggering.
>
>>      All I see is that we are more powerful than ants with that ship
>> there.
>> ;)
>
>  One thing I find interesting in that foto are the "taxis". Quite
> different
> from modern taxis, but already crowding places like that. :)

      Heh, it's exponential Warp!  ;)

    Actually, one thing that did spring to mind in our (humans) favour when
I first saw the image was: Organised.

     But then, ants are too...

       ~Steve~

> --
>                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   The amount of interesting detail in this photo is staggering.

> I bet they spent *years* modeling it :)

  Yeah. 1:1 scale models. ;)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>     Ok, I missed the caption, but looking at all the females there, yes,
> they all have short hair styled like a man's, except for the blond girl to
> the right behind the boy holding the gun. Is that another girl possibly
> sitting on a chair?

  "Levicy Emma Hatfield (daughter of Cap)", says the caption.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message