POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  RIP Gary Gygax (Message 71 to 80 of 230)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: RIP Gary Gygax
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:19:34
Message: <47d2f4d6$1@news.povray.org>
>> [Ever tried to do software rendering on a 286? Hint: this belongs to the
>> class of operations that is "not fast".]
>
>   I don't believe Doom even works in a 286. (Maybe a much later third-party
> port, perhaps, but not the original one.)

OK, well, we *are* talking about events that happened well over 10 years
ago. My memory isn't so hot. What I do remember is this:

1. At the time, Doom was reputed to require insanely expensive high-end
hardware to run usably.

2. My school had old, crappy hardware.

3. A friend of mine cunningly hid a copy of Doom on several PCs.
(Installed it in a folder named "...", so nobody would spot it.)

4. It was slow as hell!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/