POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:30:43
Message: <47d2f773@news.povray.org>
news:47d2f3cb$1@news.povray.org...

> > The increase in picture quality can be quite noticeable, but only if you
> > have equipment that can display it properly.
>
> Well, two things:
>
> 1. It has 2x the spatial resolution in both directions. That doesn't
> sound particularly earth-shattering, even on paper.
>
> 2. I saw two displays side-by-side in a shop. The one marked HD was
> certainly clearer. But it didn't make me go "wow, that's AMAZING!"
> Actually it just made me go "oh, OK, so it's 10% more crisp. And you
> want HOW MANY thousand pounds for this one??"

Thousands of pounds? Maybe 5 years ago. I just bought a 40" HD TV for under
1000 pounds, and it's mid-high on the 40" range.
I've played X-box games on both my old TV and the new LCD. The difference is
exceptional. I couldn't even read half the text on the old TV. On the new,
it's crystal clear.

Normal DVDs don't show so much difference, but there's still a very
noticable difference in display quality. I watched the sceen with Gandalf
and the Balrog of Moria on the new TV and it was sooo clear.