POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  RIP Gary Gygax (Message 171 to 180 of 230)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: RIP Gary Gygax
Date: 10 Mar 2008 09:22:46
Message: <op.t7s0w80qc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:41:22 -0000, Gail Shaw sa dot com>
<"<initialsurname"@sentech> did spake, saying:

> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>> > The problem, I think, with MMORPGs is they lack the RP part. Oh sure
>> > you're pretending to be a dwarf or dark elf, but unless you can find a
>> > server that specifically states it's for role-play then it descends to
>> > grind to a new level and score phat loot while comparing DPS and
> demanding
>> > buffs; what your character is doesn't real matter any more.
>>
>>   Reading some online stories about (A)D&D playing, it doesn't sound too
>> different from that. ;)
>
> Depends what kind of group you have. A bad group, with all the players
> just
> after the xp and the loot - very boring.
> A group that enjoys cooperative gaming and roleplaying - much, much fun.

Which is what the RP stands for, otherwise it's just a pencil and paper
co-operative FPS (or TPS with miniatures). The difference is a DM can
penalise players for not roleplaying and reward those who do; how do you
do that in a MMORPG without extensive monitoring?

> I've played one MMORPG - Guild wars. Bored the hell out of me after a
> couple weeks.

That's 'cos you were brung up on the proper stuff ;-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message