POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Adventures with digital painting (Message 88 to 97 of 197)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Adventures with digital painting
Date: 10 Mar 2008 08:00:18
Message: <47d530e2@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Ah yes, but in Unix land, a device driver is counted as part of the
> kernel. ;-)

  There are many pros in monolithic kernels. Of course there are cons,
but many people believe that the pros outweight the cons in this case.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 10 Mar 2008 08:03:16
Message: <47d53194@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Also: autoconf exists. Need I say more?

  Autoconf exists because not all systems have the same tools or libraries
installed, nor all systems have the same versions of those tools/libraries.

  Autoconf also exists because computer architectures are different.
For instance, some architectures may be little-endian while others are
big-endian. Some architectures may be 32-bit while others are 64-bit.

  Portability is a key feature of unix-like systems.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message