POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Mar 2008 08:47:37
Message: <47d53bf9$1@news.povray.org>
>> Shouldn't the compiler be dealing with those issues?
>
> No. If the compiler "dealt" with little endian and big endian, by making
> the C code always see one or the other, it would make the other
> architecture much slower.

What I meant was, shouldn't the programmer be able to just write their
program, and let the compiler generate the correct code depending on the
actual processor architecture?

But then, since C is little more than semi-portable machine code, I
guess that would be quite hard to do.

> Also, the C standard only mentions minimum sizes for data types. A
> compliant C implementation may have 64-bit bytes if it wants to.

IOW, the C standard is insane. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/