POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Adventures with digital painting (Message 78 to 87 of 197)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Adventures with digital painting
Date: 9 Mar 2008 11:37:27
Message: <47d41247$1@news.povray.org>

> Darren New wrote:
>>
>> % cat a b c >d
>> Can't create d: permission denied
>> % sudo !!
>> Can't create d: permission denied
>>
>> Of course, the real line was much longer, so a simple "su" meant
>> retyping the line (or using copy-and-paste to retype it for you)
>> instead of just !! or up-arrow. :-)

On some ssh sessions, and on MSYS bash shell, pressing home or end keys
types a ~ symbol instead of moving the cursor. Probably something I have
to configure...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Mar 2008 15:25:27
Message: <47d447b7@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 04:55:23 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> >   Why does it need to be so complicated?
>> >
>> >   find /tmp/stuff -name "*.tmp" -exec rm {} \;
>
>> Because there's a million ways to do it, and I haven't memorised all
>> the options for the find command.
>
>> In the time that it would take me to look up the options for find, I've
>> written the command-line out.
>
>   But now you know. The -exec option of find is actually quite useful.
> Learn to use your tools. :)

Yes, now I know - and I never would claim to "know it all" (been burned
too many times with things I do know more than the average person about -
and then had something pointed out I didn't know <g>).

So I do appreciate you teaching me that one.  New weapon for the
arsenal. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message