POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Mar 2008 05:07:06
Message: <47d5084a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> What I'm saying is that "Unix" isn't a single coherant design. It's
>> 50,000 random people all doing their own seperate thing, and expecting
>> the result to actually function. Which, almost unbelievably, it does.
>> But *damn* is it messy...
>
>   I really fail to see how that is at all different from Windows. ;)

Well, Windoze certainly ended up being a pretty serious mess... But at
least it does a better job of presenting a coherant appearence if
nothing else.

The trouble with Linux is that everything is 50,000 utterly *tiny*
pieces, each of which does almost nothing useful by itself, and you have
to put thousands of these tiny pieces together to do anything useful.

The trouble with Windoze is that *everything* is one gigantic lump. (And
it's a very buggy, undocumented and unreliable lump at that.)

Why can't somebody build an OS with a *sane* level of granularity?? What
would be so hard about that?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/