POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  Adventures with digital painting (Message 58 to 67 of 197)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Adventures with digital painting
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:19:15
Message: <47d2f4c2@news.povray.org>
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> >> Here's a contest. Given the directory /tmp/stuff, delete all the files
> >> in that directory that end with ".tmp".
> >>
> >> Let's see how many iterations it takes to get actually right.
> >
> > Then I guess rm /tmp/stuff/*.tmp isn't good enough? :)

> That doesn't even work if there *aren't* funky characters in the file name.

  It *does* work, assuming you have a sufficiently modern shell (and not
a 20 years old sh). Modern shells are rather smart at escaping what needs
to be escaped when you write "*".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:32:33
Message: <47d2f7e1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>>> Then I guess rm /tmp/stuff/*.tmp isn't good enough? :)
>
>> That doesn't even work if there *aren't* funky characters in the file name.
>
>   It *does* work, assuming you have a sufficiently modern shell (and not
> a 20 years old sh). Modern shells are rather smart at escaping what needs
> to be escaped when you write "*".

Bull. Put 300,000 files to be deleted in /tmp/stuff, and watch it bomb.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"