POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Curiosity (Message 26 to 35 of 115)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Curiosity
Date: 29 Feb 2008 16:42:59
Message: <47c87c63$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:37:31 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

>>> Never challenge anybody to anything. You end up loosing. And then you
>>> look very stupid.
>>
>> Nonsense.  I used to play chess competitively (ie, I played tournament
>> chess).  I wasn't very good, and I lost a lot.  Didn't make me look
>> stupid in the least, just less skilled than other people.
>
> Question: Have you ever, at any time, won a chess match?

Yes, but that's not the point.

> I haven't. Even against a computer. I'm that bad at it.
>
> And you know what? One time somebody "challenged" me about the chemical
> symbol for Tin. Well *obviously* that can't even change. How could I
> *possibly* loose? But loose I did. (Sb isn't Tin. It's the one right
> next to it. Only 1 letter and one proton different. Damn it!)

<shrug>  Start talking about object instantiation in Haskell, and you're
over my head.  Different people know different things.

>> Hint:  There's always someone who knows more.  Anyone who says they
>> know it all is either lying or stupid - or frequently both.
>
> Like So Greats said, "The greatest knowledge is in knowing that you know
> nothing."

Yep.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 29 Feb 2008 16:50:55
Message: <47C87E56.702@hotmail.com>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Having got over just how amazing his hardware and software is, several
> other facts strike me:
>
> 1. This is speeded up 600 times? And it still takes, like, 20 minutes
> for him to draw the whole thing? Wow, that's a long time! (And the
> finished image looks so easy...)
600% so two hours in total

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 29 Feb 2008 16:52:45
Message: <47c87ead$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 escribió:
> Like So Greats said, "The greatest knowledge is in knowing that you know
> nothing."

"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"

http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf

(long, but great read)

Post a reply to this message

> "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
> Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"
>
> http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf
>
> (long, but great read)

Yeah, I've seen it.

--