POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Simple Windows question Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Simple Windows question (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Simple Windows question
Date: 27 Feb 2008 07:46:04
Message: <47c55b8c$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>>
>> People get kinda annoyed if you do stuff to the server they're trying
>> to use...
>
> That's why there are times called "service windows". On a service window
> people are *not* using the server so you can do stuff on it.

I doubt anybody is going to pay overtime so I can remove a couple of
items from the recycle bin.

>> I believe you can find this information from the "server" applet from
>> the control panel.
>>
>> Nope, wait, that's only for Windows NT. They removed it in Windows XP.
>> Hold on... Ah yes, Computer Management. There's a "Shared Folders"
>> item in the right pane, with an "Open Files" subitem.
>
> I'm not actually sure if that subitem tells you everything, but have you
> checked there? Of course, you should check it form the server, not your
> workstation (I surely hope your servers are not running XP).

This particular server is running Windows 2000 Server, which has the
same Control Panel layout.

>> Alternatively, either PS Tools or Process Explorer from System
>> Internals might help you. [Altough given that M$ now ownes that, maybe
>> not...]
>
> Possibly. Go and find out, who's (ab)using your recycle bins ;).

Well, these folders are managed by our automated project ****-up system,
so I imagine that's probably the source of the trouble...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I doubt anybody is going to pay overtime so I can remove a couple of
> items from the recycle bin.

Don't doubt it - ask for it. If not allowed, at least you'll know
service windows are not considered needed, which means the servers can
be maintained during work ours (you should explain this while asking for
service windows).

> This particular server is running Windows 2000 Server, which has the
> same Control Panel layout.

I assumed so :).

> Well, these folders are managed by our automated project ****-up system,
> so I imagine that's probably the source of the trouble...

Sound very possible.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net