POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet censorship in Finland Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Internet censorship in Finland (Message 1 to 10 of 90)
From: Warp
Subject: Internet censorship in Finland
Date: 13 Feb 2008 06:04:15
Message: <47b2ceaf@news.povray.org>
So finally Finland is going down the same route as China.
  Let's see how it escalates in the future.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Finnish_internet_censorship_critic_blacklisted
http://www.effi.org/julkaisut/tiedotteet/lehdistotiedote-2008-02-12-en.html

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Internet censorship in Finland
Date: 13 Feb 2008 07:01:01
Message: <47b2dbfd@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Finnish_internet_censorship_critic_blacklisted
> http://www.effi.org/julkaisut/tiedotteet/lehdistotiedote-2008-02-12-en.html

  This censorship is actually very questionable legally.

  By law, the Finnish police has no authority on declaring something legal
or illegal. The legality of something has to be decided by a court of law.
  The problem: The Finnish police is tagging some sites as illegal, based
solely on their own judgement. More than one site in their censorship list
contain absolutely nothing illegal. By including these legal sites in their
censorship list they are judging them to be illegal, past any legal court
procedures. This in itself is against the law, and an abuse of authority.

  Teleoperators are the entities which put this censorship list in practice.
The problem is: They are censoring websites without a court order, which is
illegal. Teleoperators, by law, cannot censor websites at will because that's
against the Finnish law against disturbing telecommunications (which is a law
based on the Finnish constitution).

  The biggest problem of all: Nobody cares. The end justifies the means.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message