POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet censorship in Finland : Re: Internet censorship in Finland Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet censorship in Finland
From: scott
Date: 13 Feb 2008 07:58:09
Message: <47b2e961$1@news.povray.org>
>  By law, the Finnish police has no authority on declaring something legal
> or illegal. The legality of something has to be decided by a court of law.

But they can't do that for every website out there - *some* of the decision
making needs to be made by the police (or even a computer), not a court.  In
the same way the police (or even some automatic camera) decide if someone is
driving dangerously or not.

And then of course in the process, some sites are going to get blocked which
shouldn't have been, but that's life.  Especially if you name your site
"childporn.com" I would expect it to get blocked - no matter what the actual
content.

Anyway, why is it illegal for ISPs to only allow traffic from certain sites
that they choose (or are told by some other organisation)?  AIUI there is no
law that says all ISPs must allow access to the whole internet uncensored.