POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet censorship in Finland Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Internet censorship in Finland (Message 11 to 20 of 90)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Internet censorship in Finland
Date: 13 Feb 2008 12:08:46
Message: <47b3241e@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:04:15 -0500, Warp wrote:

> So finally Finland is going down the same route as China.
>   Let's see how it escalates in the future.
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/
Finnish_internet_censorship_critic_blacklisted
> http://www.effi.org/julkaisut/tiedotteet/lehdistotiedote-2008-02-12-
en.html

Hmmm, blog much, Warp?  <scnr>

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 13 Feb 2008 12:20:24
Message: <47b326d8@news.povray.org>

>> Well, such censorship will never work. Ever heard of "The Onion
>> Router" network?
>> Basically you connect to an Onion-server using an encrypted connection,
>
> What happens if they block the onion-server(s)?  Or encrypted traffic? ;-)

Onion is decentralized. You could install your own server, relaying
encrypted traffic from others. I doubt it would be possible for them to
block *all* the onion relays...

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 13 Feb 2008 16:24:11
Message: <47b35ffb@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Finnish_internet_censorship_critic_blacklisted
>> http://www.effi.org/julkaisut/tiedotteet/lehdistotiedote-2008-02-12-en.html
>
>   This censorship is actually very questionable legally.
>
>   By law, the Finnish police has no authority on declaring something legal
> or illegal. The legality of something has to be decided by a court of law.

So it comes down to whether the courts will hold the police to the law.

Bets?

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 13 Feb 2008 22:54:16
Message: <47b3bb68$1@news.povray.org>
Hymyly wrote:
> Well, such censorship will never work. Ever heard of "The Onion Router" network?
> Basically you connect to an Onion-server using an encrypted connection, and this
> server then forwards your request to the intended site. Everything is completely
> anonymous, untraceable and uncensurable. (And in Firefox you can switch between
> TOR-mode and normal mode with the click of a button.)

	First rule of security: Never trust any claim that states something is
untraceable and uncensorable.

	Tor completely anonymous?

	I hope the following will convince you never to have such sentiments
about *any* system:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/11/12/1194766589522.html

	He didn't really try too hard, IIRC (I didn't reread the article).

--
All hope abandon, ye who enter messages here.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 13 Feb 2008 22:54:53
Message: <47b3bb8d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The biggest problem of all: Nobody cares. The end justifies the means.

	(Welcome to the US)

--
All hope abandon, ye who enter messages here.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 13 Feb 2008 22:56:11
Message: <47b3bbdb$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>  By law, the Finnish police has no authority on declaring something legal
>> or illegal. The legality of something has to be decided by a court of
>> law.
>
> But they can't do that for every website out there - *some* of the
> decision making needs to be made by the police (or even a computer), not
> a court.  In the same way the police (or even some automatic camera)
> decide if someone is driving dangerously or not.

	Granted.

	But then there should be a procedure by which a citizen can challenge
the blocking (blockage?) of a certain web site, and have that decided by
a committee (which could ultimately be taken to a court of law).

--
All hope abandon, ye who enter messages here.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 14 Feb 2008 00:34:58
Message: <47b3d302@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Finnish_internet_censorship_critic_blacklisted
"The Finnish police have added Finnish hacker Matti Nikki's website

national child porn filter"

OK, If I were Finnish and if the law is going to do illegal stuff like
this coz is convenient and start dictatorship bull shit, I'd stick to
Judas Priest song: Breaking The Law.

Isn't illegal to say lies about some person's reputation? I think it is.

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 14 Feb 2008 03:54:55
Message: <op.t6ia2bzuc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:06:19 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom>
did spake, saying:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:57:52 -0000, "Phil Cook"
> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>
>> And lo on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:04:15 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
>> did
>> spake, saying:
>>
>>>   So finally Finland is going down the same route as China.
>>>   Let's see how it escalates in the future.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Finnish_internet_censorship_critic_blacklisted
>>> http://www.effi.org/julkaisut/tiedotteet/lehdistotiedote-2008-02-12-en.html
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7240234.stm
>>
> How will that tie in with "plan to give every child internet access at
> home"
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/jan/04/publicservices.uk

Tcch it's the government - they give you something then take it away from
you.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Feb 2008 05:37:58
Message: <3e68r3lo927n4ucv43citl9i37d4rq007e@4ax.com>
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:55:13 -0000, "Phil Cook"

>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7240234.stm
>>>
>> How will that tie in with "plan to give every child internet access at
>> home"
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/jan/04/publicservices.uk
>
>Tcch it's the government - they give you something then take it away from
>you.

And they will expect you to pay for the privilege :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 14 Feb 2008 05:45:48
Message: <op.t6if50lmc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:37:53 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom>
did spake, saying: