POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (Message 66 to 75 of 135)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
Date: 12 Feb 2008 16:50:56
Message: <47b214c0@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> VC is no small
>> download, not for those of us still struggling with dialup (I get 24Kpbs
>> here :(...)
>
>   Which is exactly why it sounds so stupid to immediately uninstall it
> right after he had downloaded and tested it, and just because of such
> a mundane reason.

It wasn't the only reason.

I had already struggled with the 2005 version, which would not link my
project because the linker claimed to be unable to resolve a reference
to one of the Windows API library calls.  This was after following all
of the instructions that dealt with configuring it to build native
Windows applications, and I did have the appropriate libraries specified
in the linking.  I didn't uninstall VC 2005, but I did neglect to
reinstall it after reinstalling WinXP a few weeks ago.

I later found that MSVC 2008 Express was available, and gave it a try.

After importing my project and attempting a build, it issued warnings
for stupid things like the fact that an explicit recast might cause a
loss of precision.  "No!  You're kidding!"

It also issued error messages because it couldn't find the database file
that it generates for each project.  I went looking for the file, and it
was right there, where the compiler claimed it couldn't find it.  Looked
  up the error code in the help feature for possible reasons the
compiler was denying the existence of a file.  The search feature in
help couldn't find the error code in the docs.

Then I saw the line that indicated that OpenGL was lacking, and I
decided at that point that getting the compiler to work wasn't going to
be worth the trouble.  I probably could have copied the stuff over from
my Watcom directory, true, but at that point I was getting rather
annoyed at the whole package.

I might give it another shot on another day, when I have nothing better
to do, but for now, I'll stick with what works.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message