POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  CD collection (Message 41 to 50 of 166)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: CD collection
Date: 8 Feb 2008 14:34:29
Message: <47acaec5@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:

> >   For example the PlayStation Portable supports running programs from
> > the flash memory card directly (instead of the optical disc), but only
> > ones approved by Sony. It will refuse to run anything else.
> >   Of course in order to run them it needs to decrypt them, and to decrypt
> > them it needs a decryption key. Couldn't this key just be read from the
> > PSP's memory and use to encrypt third-party programs? The answer is: No.
> > The decryption key can be read, but it cannot be used to encrypt the
> > programs.

> Asymmetric encryption. I can see how that would work. (OTOH, couldn't
> you just modify the firmware to not require this?)

  If the actual decryption happens in non-writable ROM memory, it would
be impossible. I don't know how it's actually done in the PSP, though.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Feb 2008 14:45:09
Message: <47acb145$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>> Asymmetric encryption. I can see how that would work. (OTOH, couldn't
>> you just modify the firmware to not require this?)
>
>   If the actual decryption happens in non-writable ROM memory, it would
> be impossible. I don't know how it's actually done in the PSP, though.

Mmm. Well. I imagine Sony has thought about this part...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/