POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo! (Message 38 to 47 of 67)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo!
Date: 11 Feb 2008 14:00:18
Message: <47b09b42@news.povray.org>
Don't make this into a flamewar, please...

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 11 Feb 2008 18:43:15
Message: <47b0dd93$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Don't make this into a flamewar, please...
I'm not the one pretending to know some guys' mind and software

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 11 Feb 2008 20:35:33
Message: <47b0f7e5$1@news.povray.org>
"Saul Luizaga" <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:

> > Every large company has some sort of a "do good/feel good" program, it's
> > marketing necessity nowadays, not out of "philanthropy/philosophy for
> > service for the humanity" (!?).

> It is, maybe not 100% altruistic but it is, and that si the important
thing.

Let me rephrase it: Yahoo is no more or no less altruistic than any other
company of that scale.

>>   And don't forget Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation
> >
> > Knee jerk reaction is to root for the ""underdog"" and disparage the
> > "overdog", but MS is probably more "greener" than Yahoo, and if your
motive
> > is truly philantrophy and not simply being anti-MS, it makes more sens
> > root for Bill: More of each $1000 you put in Bill's pocket will go to
good
> > causes than from $100 you put into pockets of 10 different people.

> LOL, yeah right dude...

That's not an argument. Mine follows straightforward from the law of
diminishing returns.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Feb 2008 20:47:04
Message: <47b0fa98@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> I'm not the one pretending to know some guys' mind and software

I think the problem is you're presenting personal judgements as facts.
Rather than "I find MS's software to be crappy," you say "MS makes
crappy software."  The very "MS is a crappy company, and it doesn't
matter what everyone else thinks" sounds very bigoted.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 12 Feb 2008 19:36:10
Message: <47b23b7a@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> I'm not the one pretending to know some guys' mind and software
>
> I think the problem is you're presenting personal judgements as facts.
> Rather than "I find MS's software to be crappy," you say "MS makes
> crappy software."  The very "MS is a crappy company, and it doesn't
> matter what everyone else thinks" sounds very bigoted.

ok ok, maybe I'm exagerating here, but MS HAS done some very crappy
software, you can't tell me I'm wrong in that. Windows 2000, for me, is
a master peace of OS, an example of low memory and extreme efficiency
and stability, something MS forgot when they made WinXP. Since WinXP is
a hybrid between Win2K and WinME, I think they put too much of WinME in XP.

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 12 Feb 2008 20:12:41
Message: <47b24409@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Saul Luizaga" <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
>> somebody wrote:
>
>>> Every large company has some sort of a "do good/feel good" program, it's
>>> marketing necessity nowadays, not out of "philanthropy/philosophy for
>>> service for the humanity" (!?).
>
>> It is, maybe not 100% altruistic but it is, and that si the important
> thing.
>
> Let me rephrase it: Yahoo is no more or no less altruistic than any other
> company of that scale.

maybe... maybe not, I give them the benefit of doubt, unless of course,
you know, first hand, better/otherwise.

>>>   And don't forget Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation
>>>
>>> Knee jerk reaction is to root for the ""underdog"" and disparage the
>>> "overdog", but MS is probably more "greener" than Yahoo, and if your
> motive
>>> is truly philantrophy and not simply being anti-MS, it makes more sens
>>> root for Bill: More of each $1000 you put in Bill's pocket will go to
> good
>>> causes than from $100 you put into pockets of 10 different people.
>
>> LOL, yeah right dude...
>
> That's not an argument. Mine follows straightforward from the law of
> diminishing returns.

   Oh dude... I don't have enough words to describe my disgust for Bill
gates and Microcrap.

   Listen I come from the time of MS DOS, I was a noob programmer back
then and among compilers, .dll and other basic programming components
the chat between close friends was don't use that MS
compiler/component/program is very slow, is buggy it doesn't do well
this... is crappy. Maybe MS has changed in part that but that's all I'm
admitting.

About MS (lol)... a few months ago Internet Explorer 7 Team invited some
  Mozilla FIreFox guys to help them better Integrate FireFox into the,
back then, up coming Windows "Long Horn" (Vista), but I read in some
other article later on, that they basically asked for help to give IE7
tabbed capability and other FireFox security features, with all the
millions, sorry BILLIONS... they ask developers from a freeware
organization ADVICE. MS develops programming laguages... enough said.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 12 Feb 2008 20:38:07
Message: <47b249ff$1@news.povray.org>
I'm not sure how related this is...

Three or four people were fired from the Yahoo! Widgets team today.

http://twitter.com/rickyromero/statuses/704725872

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Feb 2008 21:10:11
Message: <47b25183$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> ok ok, maybe I'm exagerating here, but MS HAS done some very crappy
> software, you can't tell me I'm wrong in that.

No dispute with that, indeed.  But it tends to disappear pretty quickly,
just like everyone else's crappy software.  Microsoft Bob? Windows ME?

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 12 Feb 2008 21:13:19
Message: <47b2523f@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> ok ok, maybe I'm exagerating here, but MS HAS done some very crappy
>> software, you can't tell me I'm wrong in that.
>
> No dispute with that, indeed.  But it tends to disappear pretty quickly,
> just like everyone else's crappy software.  Microsoft Bob? Windows ME?

True and I hope that tendecy continues :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 Feb 2008 04:27:57
Message: <47b2b81d@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Windows 2000, for me, is
> a master peace of OS, an example of low memory and extreme efficiency

  Was that some kind of subtle sarcasm?

--
                                                          - Warp