POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reality Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Reality (Message 10 to 19 of 49)
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Reality
Date: 8 Feb 2008 03:21:03
Message: <47ac10ef$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>>  Personally, I always wished English had gender-neutral third-person
>> pronouns that applies to humans.
>
> "it" only applies to objects and non-human creatures?

Try referring to a person who's gender you can't guess as 'it' and see
how far it gets you.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 Feb 2008 06:38:51
Message: <47ac3f4a@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   IMO "he" is a perfectly valid gender-neutral third-person pronoun.
> > IMO anyone who constructs those artificial "he/she" or whatever
> > monstrosities is just being ridiculously over-PC.

>         I'm fine with it if you're fine when others use "she" instead.

  I'm sorry, but to my ear "she" explicitly states that we are talking
about a female, while "he", when in proper context, doesn't necessarily
do so.

  It's similar to the word "man". It can either be used to specifically
refer to a male, or it can be used as a generic term for person/human,
depending on the context, such as in the phrase "where no man has gone
before". Even though the word "man" is used there, it's not referring to
a specific gender, but to humanity in general.

  (If someone said "where no woman has gone before" it would be quite
clearly specifically referring to female persons.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On 8 Feb 2008 06:38:51 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  I'm sorry, but to my ear "she" explicitly states that we are talking
>about a female, while "he", when in proper context, doesn't necessarily
>do so.

You must have been taught English properly unlike some native speakers and those
who want to change the rules to fit their ideas of what is right.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm sorry, but to my ear "she" explicitly states that we are talking
> about a female, while "he", when in proper context, doesn't necessarily
> do so.
>
>   It's similar to the word "man". It can either be used to specifically
> refer to a male, or it can be used as a generic term for person/human,
> depending on the context, such as in the phrase "where no man has gone
> before". Even though the word "man" is used there, it's not referring to
> a specific gender, but to humanity in general.

Which, if you're a feminist, is incredibly offensive, because to you,
it's as clearly specifically referring to males as you feel she is, when
used, referring to females.

The fact that you see 'man' and 'he' as general terms encompassing both
genders just goes to show how deeply ingrained the phallocentric elitist
regime has portrayed men as being the norm and females being an aberration.

...or something.

Right on sister!  Grrl powah!  etc.

--
Tim Cook