POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reality : Re: Reality Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reality
From: Tim Cook
Date: 8 Feb 2008 12:18:38
Message: <47ac8eee$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'm sorry, but to my ear "she" explicitly states that we are talking
> about a female, while "he", when in proper context, doesn't necessarily
> do so.
>
>   It's similar to the word "man". It can either be used to specifically
> refer to a male, or it can be used as a generic term for person/human,
> depending on the context, such as in the phrase "where no man has gone
> before". Even though the word "man" is used there, it's not referring to
> a specific gender, but to humanity in general.

Which, if you're a feminist, is incredibly offensive, because to you,
it's as clearly specifically referring to males as you feel she is, when
used, referring to females.

The fact that you see 'man' and 'he' as general terms encompassing both
genders just goes to show how deeply ingrained the phallocentric elitist
regime has portrayed men as being the norm and females being an aberration.

...or something.

Right on sister!  Grrl powah!  etc.

--
Tim Cook