POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's a riddle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  It's a riddle (Message 33 to 42 of 62)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: It's a riddle
Date: 7 Feb 2008 12:38:35
Message: <47ab421b$1@news.povray.org>

> Warp wrote:
>>   When I was in school they told us that in English "'s" should only be
>> used with people, otherwise the "of" version should be used. For example,
>> you shouldn't say "the house's window" but "the window of the house".
>
> As a native speaker of American english, I will say I've never heard of
> such a rule. Indeed, such a "window of the house" would make me think
> you're a native French speaker speaking English or something.

I remember "the shop window" (no 's) from a book we used at school...

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 Feb 2008 12:48:14
Message: <47ab445d@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:
> >> "not as scary as your two faces" sounds better to me.  No idea if it's
> >> correct or not.
> >
> >   That would mean a person with two faces... :P

> *Sounds* right to me. "Your" can refer to plural, so if it's clear from
> context you're talking to two people, it wouldn't be confusing.

  I suppose that being a native speaker you know better. It still sounds
a bit weird to me, though.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 7 Feb 2008 13:19:04
Message: <47ab4b98$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>
>>> Besides, spelling and grammar checking are what editors are for. :-)
>> Heh! Who wants to be editor for my NG submissions? :-D
>
> You're using Thunderbird, doesn't it have a live spell checking while
> writing the message?

Yes - but it uses American English. [Despite my repeated attempts to
make it do UK English.]

Also, it doesn't know how to spell half the words I want to use...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Yes - but it uses American English. [Despite my repeated attempts to
> make it do UK English.]

I see a Spelling button on the toolbar. It has an arrow (menu) next to
it, lets me choose language.

> Also, it doesn't know how to spell half the words I want to use...

Right click "misspelled" word, Add to dictionary.

Post a reply to this message

>> Yes - but it uses American English. [Despite my repeated attempts to
>> make it do UK English.]
>
> I see a Spelling button on the toolbar. It has an arrow (menu) next to
> it, lets me choose language.

Interesting. I get a blank menu.

>> Also, it doesn't know how to spell half the words I want to use...
>
> Right click "misspelled" word, Add to dictionary.

Still doesn't help me find the correct spelling in the first place. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/