POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lamp me one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Lamp me one (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Lamp me one
Date: 5 Feb 2008 10:36:30
Message: <47a8827c@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Warp wrote:

> >   Don't mix HTML and PHP. That's just asking for maintenance nightmares.

> I thought that was the design goal of PHP?

  Maybe it was, but in practice it's usually a bad idea. I have seen
horrible, horrible examples.

  This may be an acceptable exception:

<?php
  ... lots of PHP code here
?>

  <?php (something which calls the code above) ?>

> >   You don't need to make a separate 'echo' for each of those things.

> You do if you only have a 40x40 character text window and a text editor
> which malfunctions on long lines...

  No you don't:

echo
 'hello ' .
 $user .
 ", how are you?\n";

  At least it saves you from writing 'echo' a million times.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>>   Don't mix HTML and PHP. That's just asking for maintenance nightmares.
>
>> I thought that was the design goal of PHP?
>
>   Maybe it was, but in practice it's usually a bad idea. I have seen
> horrible, horrible examples.

I can imagine...

The PHP tutorial explains how you can do "really cool" things like this:

<?php if ($somecondition) { ?>

Lots of HTML here...

<?php } else { ?>

lots more HTML here...

<?php } ?>

Which... uh... well I can imagine it becoming messy quite fast.

>   This may be an acceptable exception:
>
> <?php
>   ... lots of PHP code here
> ?>

>   <?php (something which calls the code above) ?>

Yeah, that seems more like the model to follow. (In fact, some of the
user comments I've seen suggest that all the "real code" should be in
include files instead and just called from the HTML pages.)

>>>   You don't need to make a separate 'echo' for each of those things.
>
>> You do if you only have a 40x40 character text window and a text editor
>> which malfunctions on long lines...
>
>   No you don't:
>
> echo
>  'hello ' .