POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really Cool TV idea Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Really Cool TV idea (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Really Cool TV idea
Date: 5 Feb 2008 05:37:24
Message: <op.t51rsytuc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 05 Feb 2008 06:12:52 -0000, Chambers
<ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> did spake, saying:

> I was at Best Buy the other day, and saw a TV that ran at 120hz.  It
> didn't just refresh at that rate, though; it actually created new frames
> to put in between the others.
>
> This means that, for each of the 30 whole frames you get off the DVD,
> you would get 3 additional frames interpolated between them.
>
> It doesn't help still pictures any, but when anything is moving on it...
> WOW.  I can not begin to describe how much more lifelike it is.

I thought all the EU 100Hz TVs already did that, and they've been around
for ages.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

> I was at Best Buy the other day, and saw a TV that ran at 120hz.  It
> didn't just refresh at that rate, though; it actually created new frames
> to put in between the others.
>
> This means that, for each of the 30 whole frames you get off the DVD,
> you would get 3 additional frames interpolated between them.
>
> It doesn't help still pictures any, but when anything is moving on it...
> WOW.  I can not begin to describe how much more lifelike it is.

It also helps with the viewing of DVDs movies.  Movies generally go at
24 FPS, so the number of frames to be interpolated is constant.  With a
frame rate that is not a multiple of 24 (such as 60, which is more or
less the NTSC rate), some frames get played twice and some get played
three times.  The difference is noticeable to some observers.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message