POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really Cool TV idea Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Really Cool TV idea (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Really Cool TV idea
Date: 5 Feb 2008 22:32:54
Message: <47a92a66$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:37:45 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Chambers wrote:
>> It doesn't help still pictures any, but when anything is moving on
>> it... WOW.  I can not begin to describe how much more lifelike it is.
>
> I've seen experiments where they filmed big-screen movies at 60fps, and
> people would literally fall out of their chair when watching a movie
> filmed from the seat of a rollercoaster.

I've seen that happen - along with motion sickness.  More common in a
domed theater (or an IMAX theater, but I think it's more common when the
picture is all around you).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 5 Feb 2008 23:54:48
Message: <47a93d98$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> It doesn't help still pictures any, but when anything is moving on
>> it... WOW.  I can not begin to describe how much more lifelike it is.
>
> I've seen experiments where they filmed big-screen movies at 60fps, and
> people would literally fall out of their chair when watching a movie
> filmed from the seat of a rollercoaster.

I've seen limited effects like this on computers, but since I've never
really had a "high end" gaming rig, I haven't experienced it in a full
scene myself.  I think the highest frame rate I ever had was ~60 average
(~75 peak).

 From what I hear, though, >90hz is where things really take off.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

I've seen *reports* of experiments where...

Should make that clear.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

> It doesn't help still pictures any, but when anything is moving on it...
> WOW.  I can not begin to describe how much more lifelike it is.

Anyone remember the Brainstorm movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstorm_(1983_film)

Very cool film. Highly recommended.