POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:09 EDT (-0400)
  What you say? (Message 1 to 10 of 64)
From: Invisible
Subject: What you say?
Date: 1 Feb 2008 05:23:33
Message: <47a2f325$1@news.povray.org>
During my stay in Switzerland, I discovered a number of things.

The region I was staying in (Nendaz) speaks French. Now, my knowledge of
French is minimal. I recall that what we refer to as a "gold fish", the
French call "le passion rougue" ("the red fish"), and that's about it.

I recall sitting down in the cafe at Siviez. Waitress wanders over and
mutters something in French. I look at her for a moment. "Well I hope
your English is way better than my French." She looks worried.

Well anyway, I eventually managed to figure out that if you mumble
"shokolah", they bring you a mug of hot chocolate. Which tastes ****ing
fantastic BTW.

Benny likes to drink some kind of coffee. I'm not sure exactly what it
is. The waitress comes over and he says "reversay". And she looks at him
like "dude, WTF?" Anyway, it turns out the correct way to pronounce this
word is actually a cross between saying "reversay" and trying to cough
up a gold watch: hhhhhhhhrrreversay. Otherwise they literally have no
idea what you're saying.

I still have no idea what this word actually means... Any guesses?

Also somewhat interesting: If you ask an English person how to say
"hello" in French, they'll tell you it's "bon-jor". Well, *I* didn't
hear anybody say that! What I heard was much more like "bor-shor".
Because, you know what? To speak French, you have to actually speak in a
French accent, or nobody knows what you're saying. Which actually makes
sense, really...

Similarly, it's not "mer-see". It appears to involve a completely
different set of vowles, more closely approximating "meial-si". Danm, I
can't even *type* it, much less say it out loud.

For me, the most baffling thing was hearing little kids uttering
complex-sounding French sentences. Now, logically, this isn't
surprising. They're probably from France! What else would they be
speaking? And yet, it still amazed and astonished me every time...
French words seem to have such a complicated structure. And yet these
kids toss it around as if it's *easy*. Which, when you're a French
person, it probably is.

Like I said, logically there's nothing unusual here. Rationally, you
know that. But even so, when you see small children casually doing
something that you yourself find impossibly difficult... it's always
surprising.

(But then, come to that, there were children there who could ski better
than they can *walk*! Really showed me up...)

You know, it's probably a *good* thing that I don't know how to say "you
have a really nice arse" in French. Because that waitress would have
probably slapped me for it. Mind you, she says her boyfriend is always
teaching her new English words and phrases. (And damn, her English isn't
half bad...) Ho hum!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I recall that what we refer to as a "gold fish", the French call "le
> passion rougue" ("the red fish"), and that's about it.

That's "le poisson rouge". Unless you mean red passion, but then it's
"*la* passion rouge" :-)

> Benny likes to drink some kind of coffee. I'm not sure exactly what
> it is. The waitress comes over and he says "reversay". And she looks
> at him like "dude, WTF?" Anyway, it turns out the correct way to
> pronounce this word is actually a cross between saying "reversay" and
> trying to cough up a gold watch: hhhhhhhhrrreversay. Otherwise they
> literally have no idea what you're saying.
>
> I still have no idea what this word actually means... Any guesses?

"poured again" or something like that. I don't know much about coffee in
general, though... But yes, the "r" is certainly rougher in French, and
this is especially notable at the beginning of words.

> Because, you know what? To speak French, you have to actually speak
> in a French accent, or nobody knows what you're saying. Which
> actually makes sense, really...

I would expect this to be true in many languages indeed. Try Chinese
some day, it's even worse :-)

> Similarly, it's not "mer-see". It appears to involve a completely
> different set of vowles, more closely approximating "meial-si". Danm,
> I can't even *type* it, much less say it out loud.

Perhaps if you say "mayor see" very quick in English it sounds a bit
like the French "merci" ? Except for the "r"...

> French words seem to have such a complicated structure. And yet these
>  kids toss it around as if it's *easy*. Which, when you're a French
> person, it probably is.

As a matter of fact, I get the same feeling when I watch TV and find a
Polish station :-) I don't think the structure is more complicated, it's
just the chaining of the sounds that feels unusual.

> You know, it's probably a *good* thing that I don't know how to say
> "you have a really nice arse" in French. Because that waitress would
> have probably slapped me for it.

OK so I won't translate that :-D

--
Vincent