POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question of the day... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Question of the day... (Message 11 to 20 of 86)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Question of the day...
Date: 24 Jan 2008 16:09:30
Message: <4798fe8a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/23 22:39:
> Is there free will in Heaven?
>

> (FWIW, I think either answer leads to some obvious problems. :-)

In whitch ones of the thousands of heavens?
Just remember that some heavens for somes are hells for some others...

--
Alain
Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to blurt out
this excuse #1:  I was working smarter - not harder.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 24 Jan 2008 16:41:11
Message: <47990602.50206@hotmail.com>
Darren New wrote:
> Is there free will in Heaven?
>

> (FWIW, I think either answer leads to some obvious problems. :-)

The question is based on a false assumption. Logic dictates that
everything follows from a false assumption so the answer is probably yes
and that is also the answer to the question whether there isn't free
will in heaven.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jan 2008 19:58:43
Message: <47993443$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Is there free will in Heaven?
>>

>> (FWIW, I think either answer leads to some obvious problems. :-)
>>
> The question is based on a false assumption.

And what false assumption do you think I have made?  (Well, I mean,
other than the obvious one.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jan 2008 20:25:15
Message: <47993a7b$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Is there free will in Heaven?
>>

>> (FWIW, I think either answer leads to some obvious problems. :-)
>>
> The question is based on a false assumption. Logic dictates that
> everything follows from a false assumption so the answer is probably yes

Incidentally, if what you mean is "there is no Heaven", then the correct
answer to the question is "Mu" - the Zen answer that unasks the
question. :-)

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jan 2008 21:32:54
Message: <MPG.2202f80fa751951998a0ea@news.povray.org>
In article <47993a7b$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> andrel wrote:
> > Darren New wrote:
> >> Is there free will in Heaven?
> >>

> >> (FWIW, I think either answer leads to some obvious problems. :-)
> >>
> > The question is based on a false assumption. Logic dictates that
> > everything follows from a false assumption so the answer is probably ye
>
> Incidentally, if what you mean is "there is no Heaven", then the correct

> answer to the question is "Mu" - the Zen answer that unasks the
> question. :-)

"False" in this instance refers to lack of foundation. If your roof
caves in, insisting that you know it was from termites is a false
assumption, if you have no proof that termites where in it. Presuming
you can prove they where, you still have to prove that they where the
main cause, which might be kind of hard if it turned out that your roof
was made of metal (which would be the equivalent of heaven not existing
in the first place). But, the assumption is false, being unfounded on
fact, whether or not there *may* be facts to support it, until such
facts are made evident, or other facts are presented that invalidate the
premise.

That there is no evidence, logical or otherwise, to propose that the
statement has any validity, especial as apposed to like thousands of
other things people have *called* heaven (or which, like dragons, are
quite literally *not* the same thing in China and Europe, but get lumped
together under one label, due to what can, sometimes, be trivial
similarities), doesn't help it being provably/testably true either,
never mind a valid premise, as above, to begin with.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jan 2008 22:36:47
Message: <4799594f$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <47993a7b$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
>> andrel wrote:

>>> The question is based on a false assumption. Logic dictates that
>>> everything follows from a false assumption so the answer is probably yes
>> Incidentally, if what you mean is "there is no Heaven", then the correct
>> answer to the question is "Mu" - the Zen answer that unasks the
>> question. :-)
>>
> "False" in this instance refers to lack of foundation.

Lack of foundation for what? It was a question.

> But, the assumption is false, being unfounded on fact,

Which assumption?

> That there is no evidence, logical or otherwise, to propose that the
> statement has any validity,

Which statement? It's a question.

> doesn't help it being provably/testably true either,
> never mind a valid premise, as above, to begin with.

Doesn't help what being testably true?

I fear on this one your ranting is taking off before anyone even says
anything.  Of course the question assumes the existence of free will
somewhere, and of heaven.  The point of the question is to investigate
those assumptions, in case you hadn't noticed.  Just ranting without
reference to the question isn't very interesting.

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 25 Jan 2008 03:26:29
Message: <47999d35$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Is there free will in Heaven?

You're asking the wrong question. The right one would be is there /only/
  free will in Heaven.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 25 Jan 2008 07:48:25
Message: <op.t5hki5t0c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:58:31 -0000, nemesis
<nam### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:

> I for one find it quite boring that free will just means choosing to
> side with God or to side with the Devil.

"...the boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you
got in Hell."

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 25 Jan 2008 07:50:59
Message: <op.t5hknecic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:39:38 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Is there free will in Heaven?
>

> (FWIW, I think either answer leads to some obvious problems. :-)

Sure, except as soon as you exercise it in a way contrary to the ruling
authorities you'll be kicked out. It's like 1984 with harps and clouds.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Jan 2008 09:14:39
Message: <4799eecf$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> And lo on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:58:31 -0000, nemesis
> <nam### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:
>
>> I for one find it quite boring that free will just means choosing to
>> side with God or to side with the Devil.
>
> "...the boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement
> you got in Hell."

Ha! One of my favourites. Hysterical *and* gripping. :-)