POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Just wondering (Message 21 to 30 of 42)
From: scott
Subject: Re: reverse
Date: 17 Jan 2008 03:57:51
Message: <478f188f$1@news.povray.org>
> While we're on the subject... If you wanted to, how hard is it to connect
> a PC to a normal TV? (Obviously, PCs normally run at vastly different
> scanrates and lack the propper connectors...)

If you have a DVI output and a modern TV with HDMI input, then you simply
buy the correct cable which is about 10 quid.  DVI and HDMI are electrically
the same, just different connectors (plus HDMI can include digital audio).

Post a reply to this message

> So, given a typical PC, how much would it actually cost to equip it such
> that you can record and play back TV with it? What actual hardware and
> software does this require?

Search Amazon.co.uk for "DVB-T".  That will sort you out in the UK at least
for the hardware.

Post a reply to this message

>> While we're on the subject... If you wanted to, how hard is it to
>> connect a PC to a normal TV? (Obviously, PCs normally run at vastly
>> different scanrates and lack the propper connectors...)
>
> If you have a DVI output and a modern TV with HDMI input, then you
> simply buy the correct cable which is about 10 quid.  DVI and HDMI are
> electrically the same, just different connectors (plus HDMI can include
> digital audio).

Nobody I know of has a TV this new. However, my latest video card does
have DVI output. (Fortunately it comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor, so I
can still plug it in to my monitor and get a picture...)

Actually, for that matter, my dad can use DVI or VGA with his PC, and
there doesn't appear to be a significant difference...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/