POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solve this... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Solve this... (Message 11 to 20 of 56)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Solve this...
Date: 16 Jan 2008 03:11:40
Message: <478dbc3c@news.povray.org>
Rune <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> There are two passages of which you must choose one. One of them leads to
> freedom, the other one to doom. Once you have chosen one, you are stuck with
> it. In front of each passage is a guards. One guard always tell the truth
> and one always lies. You don't know which does what. Now you must find out
> which passage to choose by asking the guards questions...

  The vast majority of people pose the problem like that, and they all get
it wrong. That's because that is not limiting the number of questions you
can ask, in which case the problem makes no sense as it becomes trivial.

  In the real problem you can only ask one question, period.

  (Curiously, that also means that having two guards is redundant. One
guard is enough.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>  The vast majority of people pose the problem like that, and they all get
> it wrong. That's because that is not limiting the number of questions you
> can ask, in which case the problem makes no sense as it becomes trivial.
>
>  In the real problem you can only ask one question, period.

Yes I see that now.

>  (Curiously, that also means that having two guards is redundant. One
> guard is enough.)

Sure, but having two makes the question trickier for ones who are unfamiliar
with the riddle, because it makes it seem like there are more factors
involved.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

> >  (Curiously, that also means that having two guards is redundant. One
> > guard is enough.)

> Sure, but having two makes the question trickier for ones who are unfamiliar
> with the riddle, because it makes it seem like there are more factors
> involved.

  I wonder if it could work with more doors than two (ie. still having
one guard and one question, or if it's impossible, perhaps two questions).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message