POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My mouse Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  My mouse (Message 34 to 43 of 43)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: My mouse
Date: 12 Feb 2008 21:12:17
Message: <47b25201$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> the mouse is not working well enough for the USB port but enough to
> "hand shake" with the PS2 interface.

If the adaptor is simple, there's virtually no electronics in it, and
what you really have is a mouse that will do either, with the signals
going over different pins.

> I really would like to know why this happens.

Check your BIOS for "legacy USB support" - that means to recognise mouse
and keyboard on USB ports.  That's all I can think of offhand.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

>> the mouse is not working well enough for the USB port but enough to
>> "hand shake" with the PS2 interface.
>
> If the adaptor is simple, there's virtually no electronics in it, and
> what you really have is a mouse that will do either, with the signals
> going over different pins.

hmm, I think may have very simple electronics since both are serial
ports and would explain why the flawlessness of the buggy USB mouse
interface. At least is what I think.

>> I really would like to know why this happens.
>
> Check your BIOS for "legacy USB support" - that means to recognise mouse
> and keyboard on USB ports.  That's all I can think of offhand.

Already did Darren, i'm a PC tech so was the first thing to check :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Feb 2008 21:46:20
Message: <47b259fc$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> hmm, I think may have very simple electronics

You never read the USB spec, did you? It's actually rather complex. :-)
That it's serial is like saying "SATA is serial" or "SONET is serial."

> Already did Darren, i'm a PC tech so was the first thing to check :)

Cool. Heck, *I* didn't know what it meant six months ago. :-)

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 12 Feb 2008 23:33:35
Message: <47b2731f@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> hmm, I think may have very simple electronics
>
> You never read the USB spec, did you? It's actually rather complex. :-)
> That it's serial is like saying "SATA is serial" or "SONET is serial."

aren't they? maybe complexfor the very high speeds but AFAK they are
serial techs, similar to PCI-Express.

>> Already did Darren, i'm a PC tech so was the first thing to check :)
>
> Cool. Heck, *I* didn't know what it meant six months ago. :-)

good for you :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 20 Feb 2008 15:17:17
Message: <47bc8acd$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>>> hmm, I think may have very simple electronics
>>
>> You never read the USB spec, did you? It's actually rather complex.
>> :-) That it's serial is like saying "SATA is serial" or "SONET is
>> serial."
>
> aren't they? maybe complexfor the very high speeds but AFAK they are
> serial techs, similar to PCI-Express.

I don't know about PCI-Express, but I'm just saying the fact that
they're serial doesn't make them "simple". The USB spec is something
like 250 pages or so, and that's just for the basics shared by all USB
devices, like the ability to plug in, be recognised, and sync with the host.

(SONET is what telcos use to put voice and data over fiber, multiplexed.
It's not simple either. :)

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 20 Feb 2008 16:34:53
Message: <47bc9cfd$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:

>> You never read the USB spec, did you? It's actually rather complex.
>> :-) That it's serial is like saying "SATA is serial" or "SONET is
>> serial."
>
> aren't they? maybe complexfor the very high speeds but AFAK they are
> serial techs, similar to PCI-Express.

USB has a whole communications protocol to go with it. Think about
TCP/IP and how complicated that is, and you get some idea of how much
work a typical USB device has to do in order to work. Sure, the
*physical* signalling is a simple serial bus, but if you want to *do*
anything with it... ;-)

*continues stalking Darren*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 20 Feb 2008 16:36:02
Message: <47bc9d42$1@news.povray.org>

> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>
>>> You never read the USB spec, did you? It's actually rather complex.
>>> :-) That it's serial is like saying "SATA is serial" or "SONET is
>>> serial."
>>
>> aren't they? maybe complexfor the very high speeds but AFAK they are
>> serial techs, similar to PCI-Express.
>
> USB has a whole communications protocol to go with it. Think about
> TCP/IP and how complicated that is, and you get some idea of how much
> work a typical USB device has to do in order to work. Sure, the
> *physical* signalling is a simple serial bus, but if you want to *do*
> anything with it... ;-)

And also think of the hundreds of protocols you can talk over TCP.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 20 Feb 2008 16:49:48
Message: <47bca07c$1@news.povray.org>
>> USB has a whole communications protocol to go with it. Think about
>> TCP/IP and how complicated that is, and you get some idea of how much
>> work a typical USB device has to do in order to work. Sure, the
>> *physical* signalling is a simple serial bus, but if you want to *do*
>> anything with it... ;-)
>
> And also think of the hundreds of protocols you can talk over TCP.

Well, yeah, beyond the basic USB spec, there's the Mass Storage Device
protocol (pendrives and external HD enclosures) and the Human Interface
Device protocol (keyboards and mice) and various printer and scanner
protocols (those tend to be proprietry) and...

For example, did you know that a USB device is supposed to "ask
permission" before drawing more than X amount of current? (Most USB mug
warmers disregard that part of the spec.) The idea being that if you
have a powered hub, it can warn the attached device "no, don't do that"
if the total load would be too great.

And that's something that *all* USB devices are supposed to do. Also,
you can plug USB hubs into USB hubs to create quite extensive tangles of
devices. And yet, the host has to be able to address each device
individually. So an addressing and routing problem exists. Not nearly as
severe as on the Internet (there is only 1 master and many slaves here,
which simplifies greatly), but it's still nontrivial to overcome. Each
USB device needs to end up with a unique ID so you can talk to it, and
all the intervening hubs need to know how to route traffic to it correctly.

USB is *way* more than "just a serial protocol"...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 20 Feb 2008 16:52:08
Message: <47bca108$1@news.povray.org>

> For example, did you know that a USB device is supposed to "ask
> permission" before drawing more than X amount of current? (Most USB mug
> warmers disregard that part of the spec.) The idea being that if you
> have a powered hub, it can warn the attached device "no, don't do that"
> if the total load would be too great.

Yes, and that's about the *only* interesting fact I knew about it :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 20 Feb 2008 17:30:44
Message: <47bcaa14$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> *physical* signalling is a simple serial bus,

Not even that, when you consider USB 2 and USB 1 over the same wires.