POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Did you know... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Did you know... (Message 1 to 10 of 90)
From: Warp
Subject: Did you know...
Date: 27 Dec 2007 19:11:22
Message: <47743f2a@news.povray.org>
Random, and rather curious, fact about the history of astronomy:

  In the 1920's it was still not clear to astronomers whether the
Universe had approximately the size of the Milky Way galaxy, or
whether it was much larger than that.

  This is rather baffling, given that even such a modern and innovative
theory (still considered valid today) as general relativity was published
in 1915.

  They knew about other galaxies, of course, but they weren't sure if
they were just small objects in our galaxy, of whether they were large
galaxies of their own, very far away.

  Today we take for granted that the Universe is incomprehensibly larger
than our galaxy, but this has been so for much less than a century.

  Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Debate

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   They knew about other galaxies, of course, but they weren't sure if
> they were just small objects in our galaxy, of whether they were large
> galaxies of their own, very far away.

so, they thought our Milky Way was in the center of the Universe much like the
Earth was before, huh?  it's always about us, the spoiled children of God...

perhaps our own Universe is nothing but a side-effect of something bigger...

Post a reply to this message