POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Another physical puzzle (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Paul Fuller
Subject: Re: Another physical puzzle
Date: 2 Jan 2008 02:41:57
Message: <477b4045@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> You are sitting in a canoe, in a swimming pool, holding a cannon ball in
>> your lap. You throw the cannonball overboard, and it sinks to the
>> bottom. Does the level of water in the pool go up, go down, or stay the
>> same?
>
> I believe it should stay the same.

Incorrect.  Hint - The cannon ball sinks to the bottom.  Think about
what was preventing it doing so before.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 2 Jan 2008 03:36:59
Message: <477b4d2b$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> It does get wetter, just *outside* the range of displacement from the
> pressure you apply to the sand. And, if you stand there long enough that
> the grains can rearrange to be less compacted, you *will* end up with
> your puddle.

Indeed, but that doesn't really explain why it dries out initially.
Contrast it with stepping in wet mud for example, or on a wet carpet.
(as far as I understand the phenomenon, by the way, I believe that your
explanation of why the puddle eventually forms is incorrect).

Post a reply to this message