POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another physical puzzle : Re: Another physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another physical puzzle
From: Alain
Date: 2 Jan 2008 11:42:59
Message: <477bbf13$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/01 19:13:
> You are sitting in a canoe, in a swimming pool, holding a cannon ball in
> your lap. You throw the cannonball overboard, and it sinks to the
> bottom. Does the level of water in the pool go up, go down, or stay the
> same?
>
> (I've asked this of probably a dozen or more scuba dive instructors, and
> only one has gotten it right. The reasoning behind the correct answer is
> obvious once you hear it. I don't remember if I got it right when I
> heard it.)

The level will go down.
When in your hand, you displace a volume of water that have the mass of the
cannonball. When you drop it, the displace a volume of water egual to it's own
volume. The cannonball have a higher density than the water as it sink.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you wonder if ground fog or