POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Physical puzzle (Message 57 to 66 of 66)
From: Leef me
Subject: Re: Physical puzzle
Date: 9 Jan 2008 16:10:00
Message: <web.478537a531429ed0892adb1d0@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

> >> It takes a long time to convert a fish into a cat. So?
> >
> >> How many complete orbits of pluto have been observed? How do you know it
> >> is really orbiting the sun?
> >
> >   Yes, both things are comparable in complexity.
>
> No, of course not. But you haven't expressed why you think creating a
> new species over the course of a few weeks or a few years couldn't
> easily lead to creating a cat out of a fish over the course of a few
> million.

Variations within species can be caused by those capable of interbreeding.
Existing animal types of cat and fish would seem to have no path to evolve
between species. Throwing the cat in the pond will make it mad or drown it,
throwing the fish in the litter box will most certainly kill it.

>All the mechanisms to make it happen are understood,

Are they now? Where can I pick up a copy of "Cat to fish evolution for dummies"?
Breeders can interbreed animals of a species and have done so for several
centuries. But the result is up to chance based on the variations the two
'parent' animals bring to the equation.

> and
> technology makes use of the same mechanisms both in living and
> non-living environments.

Man writes a computer program and you equate that to biological evolution, why?

> What would be the boundary for you? Do you believe that drug-resistant
> TB is evolved from earlier TB?

Yes, it is know to exist, but how? Did the TB colony hear "humans have developed
drugs, we must mutate to save ourselves?" Or perhaps the natural variation of
the TB allowed some of it to survive?

> Do you believe that seedless grapes evolved from grapes with seeds?

Not as a normal course, this would have sealed their fate.
What is the offspring of a seedless grape?

> Do you believe that dogs evolved from
> wolves (or whatever the appropriate order is)?  Just curious.

Dogs and wolves are of the same species, evolved - no; they are variatons within
the species. Man has found the traits desired and prevented the natural
varibility from being expressed in the domesticated dog.

> I just don't understand how you can be presented with boatloads of
> evidence for a theory, have no conflicting evidence,

Early holders of the theory have promoted it by falsifying drawings. Others now
still tend to obfuscate the issues by saying that observed variation within the
species is somehow proof of variation between species. Others note the gene
similarity between humans and chimps. Some theorize that part of the human gene
split to make the chimp, others think the chimp choromosome merged to make
human.

Experiments have done that create amino acids, "the building blocks of life".
Yet the amino acids created are short-lived under the conditions that
theoretically existed when life began. Beyond the stable creation of amino
acids are the hurdles of organizing them into anything more complex, and then
forming that into cells. Then there is the making of multicelled life.
The issues for more and more complexity seem insurmountable even for millions of
years of experimentation.

> have no alternate
> theory to propose that explains any of the evidence,

An alternate theory is that no species is a decendant from another.
All coexisted at one time but some (obviously) died out. Perhaps each animal has
its own number of chromosomes, neither merged nor split from anothers.

All these increasing complexities must be supported on the life of the amino
acids. But our science suggests that things tend to become less complex, that
is, break down with time. But still some say "That isn't how it happened, that
can't be right."

It sounds crazy that someone would accept naturally occurring increase in
complexity as the conclusion; when the exact opposite is readily observed.

But that would be OK, until they say "The debate is over."

Leef_me

> and still say "I
> don't think it could be right." It just sounds a bit crazy to me.
>
> But that's OK.
>
> --
>    Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
>      It's not feature creep if you put it
>      at the end and adjust the release date.

Post a reply to this message

> Variations within species can be caused by those capable of interbreeding.
> Existing animal types of cat and fish would seem to have no path to evolve
> between species.

No, but that's because they're existing. Before they were separate
species, they interbred. Then they stopped interbreeding, and changed
more and more over time.

Kind of like how horses and donkeys can breed now, but often make mules.
Give them a few thousand years more, and they'll be separate species.

> Are they now? Where can I pick up a copy of "Cat to fish evolution for dummies"?

Univeristy of California.

Cats don't evolve into fish. Fish evolved into cats. It took a while.

> Breeders can interbreed animals of a species and have done so for several
> centuries. But the result is up to chance

Not so much as you'd think, no.

>> technology makes use of the same mechanisms both in living and
>> non-living environments.
>
> Man writes a computer program and you equate that to biological evolution, why?

Not only that technology. I equate the computer program to biological
evolution because it's a simulation of evolution.

>> What would be the boundary for you? Do you believe that drug-resistant
>> TB is evolved from earlier TB?
>
> Yes, it is know to exist, but how? Did the TB colony hear "humans have developed
> drugs, we must mutate to save ourselves?" Or perhaps the natural variation of
> the TB allowed some of it to survive?

The natural variation of TB allowed some of them to survive. Then they
bred like mad, because the competition was wiped out, so there were now
enough with that resistance to that particular drug to make a viable
collection for other people to get infected.

That's why it's important to finish all your antibiotics when the doctor
prescribes them, even if you feel better before you're done.

>> Do you believe that seedless grapes evolved from grapes with seeds?
>
> Not as a normal course, this would have sealed their fate.
> What is the offspring of a seedless grape?

More seedless grapes. Seeds aren't the only way plants propagate.

But so what if it was influenced by humans? That doesn't mean seedless
grapes didn't evolve from seeded grapes. Humans just provided a
different form of natural selection, a different environment if you
will, than they would have had without humans.

>> Do you believe that dogs evolved from
>> wolves (or whatever the appropriate order is)?  Just curious.
>
> Dogs and wolves are of the same species,evolved - no; they are variatons within
> the species. Man has found the traits desired and prevented the natural
> varibility from being expressed in the domesticated dog.

I think dogs have much more variability than wolves do.

>> I just don't understand how you can be presented with boatloads of
>> evidence for a theory, have no conflicting evidence,
>
> Early holders of the theory have promoted it by falsifying drawings.

Not sure I'd say "falsifying", but yeah, I know what you're talking
about. So?

> Others now
> still tend to obfuscate the issues by saying that observed variation within the
> species is somehow proof of variation between species.

Not "somehow". Very clearly how.

 > Some theorize that part of the human gene
> split to make the chimp, others think the chimp choromosome merged to make
> human.

I don't think anyone well-informed any longer disagrees about which
direction it went - you can see the duct-tape on the human chromosomes.

> Experiments have done that create amino acids, "the building blocks of life".

And this has what to do with evolution?

>> have no alternate
>> theory to propose that explains any of the evidence,
>
> An alternate theory is that no species is a decendant from another.
> All coexisted at one time but some (obviously) died out. Perhaps each animal has
> its own number of chromosomes, neither merged nor split from anothers.

And where'd they come from? I mean, you're the one that brought up the
forming of amino acids.  So what's your reason for thinking all these
similar beings are completely unrelated, all appeared at the same time?

And if rabbits were around at the time of dinosaurs, why don't people
find dinosaur fossils next to rabbit fossils?

> All these increasing complexities must be supported on the life of the amino
> acids. But our science suggests that things tend to become less complex, that
> is, break down with time.

Err, no they don't. And that's only in a closed environment anyway,
which isn't where evolution happens. Entropy isn't about things becoming
less complex. It's about things becoming less ordered. Less ordered is
often *more* complex.

> It sounds crazy that someone would accept naturally occurring increase in
> complexity as the conclusion; when the exact opposite is readily observed.

The exact opposite of naturally occurring increase of complexity?