POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle : Re: Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physical puzzle
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Jan 2008 21:43:47
Message: <MPG.21f328a611921c5498a0e0@news.povray.org>
In article <478906e4$1@news.povray.org>, ele### [at] netscapenet
says...
> [...]

> > on article I read a while back saying that there are *detectable* sub-
> > virus type cells, which have little more than a weak shell, and a tiny

> > fragment of code in them, which a) can't infect a host to case
> > replication, and b) can't replicate themselves, yet **somehow** manage

> > to exist, despite the fact that they lack the most basic two mechanisms

> > to reproduce themselves, and their internal code can often be so simple

> > that it barely creates the "shell" they use to shield themselves from

> > the environment around them. The going theory is that some sets of thes
> > things do contain "partial" replication code, and that when they come i
> > contact with code from another partial replicator, which has the missin
> > fragments, they can combine and generate replicants of "both" pseudo
> > organisms. It isn't hard to imagine one of those suffering a coding
> > error during replication, which produced a "combined" code, in one
> > stronger cell, which had "all" of the code needed to self replicate.
> >
> > Problem is, I wouldn't even have a clue where to look for the article o
> > them. I think it was in Discovery Magazine, but not sure, or even what

> > year that the article was in. Its also one of those fields that a)
> > doesn't interest most biologists (who cares about something that
> > **can't** infect you?), and b) is kind of laughed off, more or less the

> > way they did black holes, until someone discovered one. Oh, and it may

> > have just been absorbed into the current pursuits of the main theory,

> > without anyone taking much notice, kind of a, "Well, this is
> > interesting, but what can it tell me about how viruses *became* viruses

> > and how their DNA works?"
> >
> There are DNA less "cells" that do reproduce. Start with an aminoacids wi
ch
> solution. Add a little heat. Have some clay added in the mix. Wait a few
hours
> and you get cell sized spherules that have enclosed cellular shells. Wait
 a few
> more days and you start finding some things looking like internal cellula
> elements, but no nucleus and no DNA nor RNA. After some time, you'll noti
ce that
> the protocells are more numerous. Look closely and, with a little luck, y
ou can
> spot one or some of those actualy dividing.
> Similar organisms have actualy been found in nature. They don't have any
genetic
> code at all, but they do reproduce, never grow older and any individual c
an
> literaly "live" for millenias. Those who discovered them even wondered wh
y those
> never completely chocked the caverns where they where discovered.
>
> A theory say that DNA actualy apeared outside any cell, then got inside s
ome
> archaic cells, causing the apearence of the cells as we know them today.
In a
> way, DNA would be a kind of cellular parasit, at least originaly.

Ah, see. You have more details than I did. Those are precisely what I
was talking about, though, at the time the article I read talked about
them, it wasn't clear how/if they reproduced on their own. And that is
kind of the point. ID/Creationists want to insist you can't get "life"
from non-life, but you "can" find stuff that *acts* alive in the most
critical aspect, it copies itself. The next argument falls into the
whole, "You can't get new information from random results.", which is a)
bullshit, and b) irrelevant, because without *new information* you can't
get *random* either. The random event *is* new information, so
complaining that new information can't produce new information is...
just stupid. ;)

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {