POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : your 2007? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  your 2007? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Shay
Subject: your 2007?
Date: 28 Dec 2007 18:33:38
Message: <477587d2$1@news.povray.org>
Mine:

2007 began with the fulfillment of a near life-long dream to work my way
across the ocean on a ship. I would arrive in South Africa in early
February having worked two months of consecutive 12-14 hour days and
progressed to 180 push-ups per day, in great physical condition and with
a nice pile of "extra" money in my pocket. I began a semi-forced social
isolation the second of those two months and during that time occupied
my mind with art and discipline and dreams of seeing my wife. Those 30
days were perfect, the longest amount of time since I had been homeless
in which the only people offended or inconvenienced by my discipline and
mores were those I wished to be offended and inconvenienced. And all of
this while "sailing" across the Atlantic! And all of this while knowing
that a beautiful wife and city were waiting for me at the end of my
trip! And all of this while getting "rich"! And all of this while
working with my hands!

I took an unfortunate detour on the way home. I didn't want to arrive
after two months to an empty house, so I went through New Orleans to
pass a few hours at Mardi Gras. I was very very VERY nearly arrested and
still shudder when I think about it. I was so close and so worried that
I had already decided to run away if the police so much as asked for an
ID while shouting at me. I believe I only came away clean by playing an
ignorant (and very contrite) foreigner with a terrible fake, "foreign"
accent of no particular origin.

My homecoming was not disappointing. The three weeks I spent at home
after the trip were as wonderful as I could ever expect or hope them to be.

The time since, however, has been mixed.

POV-Ray: Did a lot. 2007 may have been my most prolific year and the
year in which I created my second most well-received image to date. Two
massive projects planned for sometime in the future, but can't say for
sure that either will happen in 2008.

Writing: Almost nothing. No songs. No poems. No anything except some
pieces of songs I intend for publication. Can't get focused on finishing
those pieces. One the one hand, it would be fun and possibly profitable
to publish a catchy song, on the other, I listen to "...Ziggy
Stardust..." and question the "cost" vs. reward of creating what I know
are sh*tty, if clever, lyrics. Wrote several songs in 2006, including my
biggest "hit." I suppose my mood has changed.

Bicycling: My new joy. I have broken two mountain bikes this year. A
third is in the shop being assembled from surviving pieces.

Work: Had a boss for most of the year who hated me. I am not
exaggerating. Just when I though our relationship was on the verge of
degenerating into a physical confrontation, he left. New boss is an
idiot. Most people in my profession are idiots. Still love the work and
environment. I could go on about that for pages and pages.

Fitness: Lots of biking and swimming (still suck at swimming). Lots of
push-ups. I made a resolution to stay away from weights in 2007. I am
about to be released from that resolution and "need" (according to my
wife) to put some weight back on. I've lost about 30 lbs since becoming
a laborer. I like being skinny, but at 160 I admit that I may be a bit
too skinny.

Direction: I think I've been thinking too long term. I ask myself often,
"In a year, what will I wish I had done today." The answer is always
easy: Do push-ups, go swimming, ride my bike, enjoy the weather. "Do the
laundry" or "shop for Christmas" never make the list. This year, I had
to hand out pictures of what I ordered for people last-minute. I could
use some work on the short term.

Money: My wife and I live very well on $65k a year, which is great,
because we make $95k. Been paying off her student loans for a while, but
that is almost finished. I'm about to be ghetto rich (low income,
[relatively] high cash). Don't know exactly how I feel about that. Money
has already spoiled a lot of things for me. The extra will go towards my
4-5 year goal of buying a coffee shop.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message