POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is scary stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  This is scary stuff (Message 71 to 76 of 76)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: This is scary stuff
Date: 4 Jan 2008 05:19:51
Message: <477e0847$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

> It'd all be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

"In summary: People are a problem."

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 4 Jan 2008 06:44:14
Message: <477e1c0e@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
> Trouble is the cost of providing said pamphlets is quite high prompting a
> lot of tabloids to complain about this waste of taxpayers money (ignoring
> the fact that a lot of these immigrants are themselves taxpayers too)

  I think that the tabloids are right if the immigrant have a total
negative effect on the economy and wrong if they have a total positive
effect on it. Has anyone dared to make the (unbiased) calculations there
on which is the case?

  Of course in modern Europe it would not be PC to make (and especially
publish) such calculations if they show that the net total is negative...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:44:14 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>> Trouble is the cost of providing said pamphlets is quite high prompting
>> lot of tabloids to complain about this waste of taxpayers money
>> (ignoring
>> the fact that a lot of these immigrants are themselves taxpayers too)
>
>   I think that the tabloids are right if the immigrant have a total
> negative effect on the economy and wrong if they have a total positive
> effect on it. Has anyone dared to make the (unbiased) calculations there
> on which is the case?
>
>   Of course in modern Europe it would not be PC to make (and especially
> publish) such calculations if they show that the net total is negative...

For my country historically we seemed to get a positive result, unless
they were Catholic or Norman :-) Then again historically we didn't bend
over backwards to accomodate them.

I was at the Polish Club a couple of months ago and they were talking
about how they were helping immigrating Poles, mostly a bit of translation
of documents, legal niceties, how to open a bank account etc. unlike the
tabloid portrayal of "Which way to Job Centre for free monies please?".

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message