POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  ODBC (Message 21 to 30 of 98)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: ODBC
Date: 14 Dec 2007 08:11:14
Message: <476280f2$1@news.povray.org>

47626794@news.povray.org...
> "Transactional" is a very basic functionallity for any product claiming to
> be a "database".

Actually it really depends on the purpose of the database. Read-only
databases that get updated twice a year or single-user databases may not
require transactional abilities at all.

G.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 14 Dec 2007 08:52:11
Message: <47628a8b@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

>> "Transactional" is a very basic functionallity for any product claiming to
>> be a "database".
>
> Actually it really depends on the purpose of the database. Read-only
> databases that get updated twice a year or single-user databases may not
> require transactional abilities at all.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on your definition of "database".

Under certain definitions, a CSV file is a database. There are people
who develop "in-memory databases", yet under some definitions there's no
such thing. (Since some definitions require "recoverable" and "robust".)

For the thing I'm trying to do, transactional (and recoverable, etc) is
very important. If I was trying to catelog my CD collection, MySQL would
probably be quite a good fit...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/