POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Dec 2007 08:52:11
Message: <47628a8b@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

>> "Transactional" is a very basic functionallity for any product claiming to
>> be a "database".
>
> Actually it really depends on the purpose of the database. Read-only
> databases that get updated twice a year or single-user databases may not
> require transactional abilities at all.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on your definition of "database".

Under certain definitions, a CSV file is a database. There are people
who develop "in-memory databases", yet under some definitions there's no
such thing. (Since some definitions require "recoverable" and "robust".)

For the thing I'm trying to do, transactional (and recoverable, etc) is
very important. If I was trying to catelog my CD collection, MySQL would
probably be quite a good fit...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/