POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:33 EDT (-0400)
  Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural? (Message 31 to 40 of 53)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: **** McDonalds (was Re: Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultur=
Date: 11 Dec 2007 20:35:01
Message: <web.475f3a88fec0740f34d207310@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> People who can afford *any* restaurant on a regular basis are not poor,
> and any definition of poor that includes such people is faulty.

I'd agree with "People who after a completely rational analysis of their
finances spend any time at a restaurant (and not skip on health care, rent,
college savings)  are not poor. "

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: **** McDonalds (was Re: Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural?)
Date: 12 Dec 2007 01:23:51
Message: <475f7e77$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:07:23 -0500, Ross wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:24:07 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> Incidentally, in the US, it's often cheaper to eat out at an
>>> inexpensive restaurant (like pizza of McD) than to buy fresh food to
>>> prepare at home. That's why poor people get fat here.
>>
>> I don't know about cheaper, but easier it certainly is.  Especially
>> with a bunch of kids that need to be fed.
>
> Cheaper. Subsidized corn makes up the most used ingredient in everything
> on the menu at a place like McDonalds. From the filler in the meat (and
> what do they feed the meet factories? corn... they feed corn to an
> animal that is specialized to eat grassy greens. wtf), to the breading
> around the meat, the buns, french fries (what potatos?), beverage and
> salad dressing.

Well, let's see...

Stew beef, from CostCo:  $15 for 5 lbs. (1/4 lb = $0.75)

8 hamburger buns, about $2.50 ($0.31 per bun)

For 1/4 pound burgers, grind up the stew beef (pre-ground is more
expensive by about $1 per pound IIRC), add a little bit of bread (we
added 3 slices of bread chopped into fine bread crumbs - one loaf was
about $1.35 IIRC and is maybe 15-20 slices - that handled 2.25 lbs of
beef) - about $0.05 per burger.

So we're at $1.11 per burger, and it's fresh made instead of padded with
corn.

One potato per serving of fries would be $0.20 (about $5 for 25 lbs,
figure 1 lb per serving of fries).  A bit of oil to fry them in, peanut
oil is good unless you have allergies to peanuts, otherwise sunflower oil
works too).  Figure $4.00 for 4-5 uses (and each use is more than a
single serving) - $0.15 per serving is probably a high estimate.

So the fries are about $0.35 per serving.

Drink will be the most expensive component if you want a brand name cola
beverage.  I pay about $0.25 per 12 oz can in a case of 24.  So figure
one of those...

Total cost:  $1.11 + $0.35 + $0.25 = $1.71 per meal.

IIRC, a quarter pounder with cheese meal costs around $4 around here.
(It's been about 10 years since I ate at a McDonald's).

There are additional costs to making it yourself, of course - you've got
to have equipment, for starters.  Time is also a factor to consider.

But I'll take the cheaper homemade burger any day over the trash served
at McDonald's.

Jim

Post a reply to this message