POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural? : Re: **** McDonalds (was Re: Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural?) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: **** McDonalds (was Re: Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural?)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Dec 2007 11:20:49
Message: <47600a61$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:37:20 +0100, scott wrote:

>> Time is also a factor to consider.
>
> I think this is the key point, also laziness.  Why spend all the effort
> shopping and making stuff, when for a couple of $ more you can get it
> all done for you?  I suspect for most people the extra expense for a
> ready-made burger is less than what they could earn in the time it takes
> to buy ingredients and prepare.

You know, though, I thought that way for years - turns out, the time
factor really isn't as big a deal as I thought it was.  Sure, if I want
to make bread it'll take me 4 hours (but most of that time is waiting).
If I want to make fresh pasta, it's about an hour, but 15-30 minutes of
that is also waiting.

> Buying in bulk and doing it yourself is all very well, but unless you
> plan to eat burgers every night your ingredients are going to go bad
> pretty soon, then the cost benefit is wiped out.

That's why you break out the meat you need and freeze the rest.

> Don't forget you have
> all the other stuff in the burger, like salad, sauces, cheese etc.

Sure, but the cost spread over time there makes it a few cents more as
well.

Jim