POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VBA (Very Bad Answer?) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  VBA (Very Bad Answer?) (Message 7 to 16 of 36)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: VBA (Very Bad Answer?)
Date: 6 Dec 2007 07:55:11
Message: <op.t2wzd90ec3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:23:41 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> As Scott said you just turn down the security options from "I'm an
>> idiot protect me" to "I'm a grown-up let me make my own decisions"
>
> Well I pretty much assumed it would be an on/off settings, and even I am
> not too keen on turning the security off completely.

No amazingly they did add an adult option alongside the absolutes.

>>> Google did at least manage to find me a relevant article without much
>>> ado.
>>>
>>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa141471(office.10).aspx
>>  or you could have checked your posts as I've told you how to do this
>> twice now :-)
>
> I followed the instructions you gave me for Office 97 and they didn't
> work. (I forget where exactly it fails.) The instructions I found here
> actually worked.

Hmm okay.

>>> 3. Nagivate several system folders. (You know, the ones where Windows
>>> Explorer insists "This is dangerous. We have hidden it for your own
>>> safety. Do you *really* want to touch this stuff? We warned you!")
>>  or run a search for selfcert.exe
>
> Actually I used a command prompt, but hey.
>
>>> 4. Run the certificate creation tool. This creates a self-signed
>>> certificate which you cannot export or back up. (Yay!)
>>  Um you mean except when you go to sign it, view details and pick "Copy
>> to file"?
>
> I did follow the instructions for backing up the certificate, but
> apparently "the private key is marked as not exportable and cannot be
> saved". So you can save the certificate itself, just not the key. Very
> helpful.

Try makecert instead.

>>> 7. Find the right menu item.
>>  Tools|Digital Signature.. at least on 2k, hardly surprising.
>
> It's easy once you figure out it's under Tools, yes.

or read the article you linked to :-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 6 Dec 2007 07:57:55
Message: <4757f1d3@news.povray.org>
>> I followed the instructions you gave me for Office 97 and they didn't
>> work. (I forget where exactly it fails.) The instructions I found here
>> actually worked.
>
> Hmm okay.

Well, to be honest it's getting quite hard to find information about
Office 97. Hopefully Office 2003 will be an easier proposition...

>> I did follow the instructions for backing up the certificate, but
>> apparently "the private key is marked as not exportable and cannot be
>> saved". So you can save the certificate itself, just not the key. Very
>> helpful.
>
> Try makecert instead.

It's not there.

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:57:53 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> I followed the instructions you gave me for Office 97 and they didn't
>>> work. (I forget where exactly it fails.) The instructions I found here
>>> actually worked.
>>  Hmm okay.
>
> Well, to be honest it's getting quite hard to find information about
> Office 97. Hopefully Office 2003 will be an easier proposition...

Well at least until Office 2010

>>> I did follow the instructions for backing up the certificate, but
>>> apparently "the private key is marked as not exportable and cannot be
>>> saved". So you can save the certificate itself, just not the key. Very
>>> helpful.
>>  Try makecert instead.
>
> It's not there.

GIYF