POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VBA (Very Bad Answer?) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  VBA (Very Bad Answer?) (Message 31 to 36 of 36)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: VBA (Very Bad Answer?)
Date: 13 Dec 2007 13:44:23
Message: <47617d87@news.povray.org>
news:47617baa$1@news.povray.org...
> >> What, you mean like if you turned RPC off? :-}
> >
> > Huh?
>
> Turning RPC off reputedly causes Windoze-based PCs to malfunction to the
> point of being unuseable. Great if you want to close this large security
> hole...

It's not that large a security hole. Unless you fiddle with the default
security, it's remote process communication on your own machine.

RPC is used by various processes of windows to communicate with each other

Post a reply to this message

> "Orchid XP v7" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>>> Huh?
>> Turning RPC off reputedly causes Windoze-based PCs to malfunction to the
>> point of being unuseable. Great if you want to close this large security
>> hole...
>>

> It's not that large a security hole. Unless you fiddle with the default
> security, it's remote process communication on your own machine.
>
> RPC is used by various processes of windows to communicate with each other

Depends on your definition of "large".

As I understand it, anybody who can guess what your admin password is
can have unlimited access to your PC via RPC. Nice...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

> As I understand it, anybody who can guess what your admin password is
> can have unlimited access to your PC via RPC. Nice...>

Anyone who's guessed your admin password owns your machine regardless.

del \\machine\c$\*.* /S

And that's not even considering them walking up to the machine (if its not a
server) and loging in. Or if it is a server, usign remote desktop/terminal
services

Strong admin password, perhaps?

Post a reply to this message

> "Orchid XP v7" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>> As I understand it, anybody who can guess what your admin password is
>> can have unlimited access to your PC via RPC. Nice...>
>
> Anyone who's guessed your admin password owns your machine regardless.
>
> del \\machine\c$\*.* /S

Which, as I understand it, only works because RPC is enabled.

If you can't remotely talk to the machine, you can't do anything to it.

> And that's not even considering them walking up to the machine (if its not a
> server) and loging in. Or if it is a server, usign remote desktop/terminal
> services
>
> Strong admin password, perhaps?

I was thinking more of the millions of people who have PCs in their
homes, probably with a blank or default admin password, who have no idea
that random people on the Internet can use that password to remotely do
stuff to it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/