POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It misses my home, and maps a private residence elsewhere Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:08 EDT (-0400)
  It misses my home, and maps a private residence elsewhere (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: It misses my home, and maps a private residence elsewhere
Date: 1 Dec 2007 22:39:10
Message: <475228dd@news.povray.org>
http://www.n2yo.com/index.php?k=20

This URL has a google map in it. The map has a little house icon which I
assume is supposed to be me.  When I figured out it wasn't my house, I
assumed it was probably my cable company's home office.  It looks as far as
I can surmise from the satellite to be someone else's home 15 minutes from
my house.

Is the same true for any one else (dunno if this'd work outside the states).

I wonder if this could ever cause problems.  I gripe on a web page about a
product or service, and someone figures to drive to my house and give me a
shout. They go to the wrong house.

Post a reply to this message

That's odd.  To me it looks like you're in the middle of the park just
south of I-90.
Charles

Post a reply to this message

> This URL has a google map in it. The map has a little house icon which I
> assume is supposed to be me.  When I figured out it wasn't my house, I
> assumed it was probably my cable company's home office.  It looks as far as
> I can surmise from the satellite to be someone else's home 15 minutes from
> my house.
>
> Is the same true for any one else (dunno if this'd work outside the states).
>
> I wonder if this could ever cause problems.  I gripe on a web page about a
> product or service, and someone figures to drive to my house and give me a
> shout. They go to the wrong house.

If I go to that page it gives a place here in Zaanstad. I don't think
you are living here, nor do I think that my coordinates are encoded in
my IP packets. So I can only assume that the place they indicate is some
sort of approximation of the server or gateway site. It seems to be
rounded to fit in 5 characters, so look within a mile from the indicated
point.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 2 Dec 2007 05:53:18
Message: <47528e9e$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> http://www.n2yo.com/index.php?k=20
>
> This URL has a google map in it. The map has a little house icon which I
> assume is supposed to be me.  When I figured out it wasn't my house, I
> assumed it was probably my cable company's home office.  It looks as far as
> I can surmise from the satellite to be someone else's home 15 minutes from
> my house.
>
> Is the same true for any one else (dunno if this'd work outside the states).
>
> I wonder if this could ever cause problems.  I gripe on a web page about a
> product or service, and someone figures to drive to my house and give me a
> shout. They go to the wrong house.

For me, it shows up about a block from my apartment. Closer then I would
like. Chances are, that corner is where the big telecom company switched
me over to the local ISP or where the local guys keep some equipment. Or
it might just be rounding error.

It used to much more amusing before my ISP updated various information,
since their headquarters was over 100 miles from here. Targeted ads were
more amusing when they thought I was in the middle of no where instead
of a college town.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 2 Dec 2007 10:47:51
Message: <4752d3a7@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/01 22:42:
> http://www.n2yo.com/index.php?k=20
>
> This URL has a google map in it. The map has a little house icon which I
> assume is supposed to be me.  When I figured out it wasn't my house, I
> assumed it was probably my cable company's home office.  It looks as far as
> I can surmise from the satellite to be someone else's home 15 minutes from
> my house.
>
> Is the same true for any one else (dunno if this'd work outside the states).
>
> I wonder if this could ever cause problems.  I gripe on a web page about a
> product or service, and someone figures to drive to my house and give me a
> shout. They go to the wrong house.

Drops me in Montreal, Qc, corner Dr. Penfield and Av Du Musée.
Looking at the other replys, I can assume it points in the home city of the
person vewing it.

--
Alain
Idolism: Let's bronze this shit.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Dec 2007 12:00:20
Message: <4752e4a4@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithycom> wrote:
> Is the same true for any one else (dunno if this'd work outside the states).

  Off by approximately 10 km. Might be the location of my ISP or something.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 2 Dec 2007 13:54:57
Message: <4752ff81@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> I wonder if this could ever cause problems.  I gripe on a web page about a
> product or service, and someone figures to drive to my house and give me a
> shout. They go to the wrong house.

Cool!  It's someone else's problem!

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Dec 2007 14:27:18
Message: <47530716$1@news.povray.org>
For me, this says I'm in Denver.  I'm in Salt Lake City.

Must be based on geolocating your IP address; most of the geocoding that
takes place will use the ISP's location because that's something that can
be looked up in Whois.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Dec 2007 15:05:14
Message: <47530ffa$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Must be based on geolocating your IP address; most of the geocoding that
> takes place will use the ISP's location

Not any more. There are companies that collect sign-up information that
can be matched to IP addresses. For example, if you buy something from
Amazon, they have your shipping address and your IP address. I know of
companies that will sell you the service of looking up the zipcode
associated with a given IP address, which I understand they get by
collecting such pairs and doing the appropriate analysis on them.

Pretty funky idea. :)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Dec 2007 15:39:45
Message: <47531811$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:05:13 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Not any more. There are companies that collect sign-up information that
> can be matched to IP addresses. For example, if you buy something from
> Amazon, they have your shipping address and your IP address. I know of
> companies that will sell you the service of looking up the zipcode
> associated with a given IP address, which I understand they get by
> collecting such pairs and doing the appropriate analysis on them.

Interesting, hadn't thought about that, but that makes sense.  Still,
even using geobytes (which seems to be one of the more sophisticated
tools), they still put me in Denver.

Jim