POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It misses my home, and maps a private residence elsewhere : Re: It misses my home, and maps a private residence elsewhere Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It misses my home, and maps a private residence elsewhere
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 2 Dec 2007 05:53:18
Message: <47528e9e$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> http://www.n2yo.com/index.php?k=20
>
> This URL has a google map in it. The map has a little house icon which I
> assume is supposed to be me.  When I figured out it wasn't my house, I
> assumed it was probably my cable company's home office.  It looks as far as
> I can surmise from the satellite to be someone else's home 15 minutes from
> my house.
>
> Is the same true for any one else (dunno if this'd work outside the states).
>
> I wonder if this could ever cause problems.  I gripe on a web page about a
> product or service, and someone figures to drive to my house and give me a
> shout. They go to the wrong house.

For me, it shows up about a block from my apartment. Closer then I would
like. Chances are, that corner is where the big telecom company switched
me over to the local ISP or where the local guys keep some equipment. Or
it might just be rounding error.

It used to much more amusing before my ISP updated various information,
since their headquarters was over 100 miles from here. Targeted ads were
more amusing when they thought I was in the middle of no where instead
of a college town.