POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Half expected Rusty to wheel around a corner Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Half expected Rusty to wheel around a corner (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Half expected Rusty to wheel around a corner
Date: 10 Nov 2007 22:39:48
Message: <47367984@news.povray.org>
When I saw this anim.
It's fairly large, FWIW.

http://www.scintillatingscience.com/animations/NanoFactoryFinal_1.1_640.mov

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Half expected Rusty to wheel around a corner
Date: 11 Nov 2007 21:58:24
Message: <4737c14f@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithycom> wrote:
> http://www.scintillatingscience.com/animations/NanoFactoryFinal_1.1_640.mov

  What I thought when I watched that was "this is how the Borg must build
their ships".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2007 23:43:37
Message: <4737d9f9$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> When I saw this anim.
> It's fairly large, FWIW.
>
> http://www.scintillatingscience.com/animations/NanoFactoryFinal_1.1_640.mov

If you liked this, you should read "Diamond Age" by Neil Stephenson.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 12 Nov 2007 03:48:57
Message: <47381485.7010806@hotmail.com>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> When I saw this anim.
> It's fairly large, FWIW.
>
> http://www.scintillatingscience.com/animations/NanoFactoryFinal_1.1_640.mov
Funny how the machines that move atoms have much smoother surfaces than
the atoms. I find it also interesting to see that in their vision it
should look like a miniature lego version of a factory. They have done
their best not to use the solutions that nature has 'invented'.
Particularly the fact that rigid parts are moving around in stead of
using conformation changes in molecules. Anyway, technically this whole
animation is of such a quality that I did not expect Rusty, John would
have done a much better job.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2007 13:01:30
Message: <473894fa$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> their best not to use the solutions that nature has 'invented'.

http://infosthetics.com/archives/2006/09/life_inside_a_cell_infographic_animation.html

I thought that animation was fantastic too. Might have been posted here
already.

From: andrel
Date: 12 Nov 2007 16:37:39
Message: <4738C8AE.2000104@hotmail.com>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> their best not to use the solutions that nature has 'invented'.

http://infosthetics.com/archives/2006/09/life_inside_a_cell_infographic_animation.html

Yes that is more believable than rotating round wheels with just enough
space to fit a molecule in. Much better lighting, good use of focal
blur. Still not a place where I would expect Rusty, but a fantastic
animation nevertheless.

> I thought that animation was fantastic too. Might have been posted here
> already.

possibly, I have seen it before.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 13 Nov 2007 16:50:43
Message: <473a1c33@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>
>> When I saw this anim.
>> It's fairly large, FWIW.
>>
>> http://www.scintillatingscience.com/animations/NanoFactoryFinal_1.1_640.mov
>>

> Funny how the machines that move atoms have much smoother surfaces than
> the atoms. I find it also interesting to see that in their vision it
> should look like a miniature lego version of a factory. They have done
> their best not to use the solutions that nature has 'invented'.
> Particularly the fact that rigid parts are moving around in stead of
> using conformation changes in molecules. Anyway, technically this whole
> animation is of such a quality that I did not expect Rusty, John would
> have done a much better job.

I tried downloading this, but I'm on dial-up and the animation is huge.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 13 Nov 2007 17:24:15
Message: <473a240f@news.povray.org>

>> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> When I saw this anim.
>>> It's fairly large, FWIW.
>>>
>>> http://www.scintillatingscience.com/animations/NanoFactoryFinal_1.1_640.mov
>>>

> I tried downloading this, but I'm on dial-up and the animation is huge.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2022170440316254003

Post a reply to this message

From: honnza
Date: 13 Nov 2007 18:25:00
Message: <web.473a320f6dc364b4a9ce4df50@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
> > andrel wrote:
> >> their best not to use the solutions that nature has 'invented'.

http://infosthetics.com/archives/2006/09/life_inside_a_cell_infographic_animation.html

> Yes that is more believable than rotating round wheels with just enough
> space to fit a molecule in. Much better lighting, good use of focal
> blur. Still not a place where I would expect Rusty, but a fantastic
> animation nevertheless.

It is. I especially loved watching the transport molecules that looked like
walking.

It clearly shows that the life is actually a perfectly mastered nanosystem. The
ribosomes are the perfect processors, and what's for sure the program is
incredibly complex and stored on a very stable medium, counting the recovery
mechanisms in (imagine a floppy disk in a strong magnetic field keeping its
data intact for hundreds of years. That's what we are now, in a solar microwave
oven).
It makes you want to know the Creator of the human cells (and everything).

From: andrel
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:15:50
Message: <47420C23.30600@hotmail.com>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> When I saw this anim.
> It's fairly large, FWIW.
>
> http://www.scintillatingscience.com/animations/NanoFactoryFinal_1.1_640.mov

I just saw part of that animation in a program BBC4 by Michio Kaku.
I also disagree with some of the other claims in this program, then
again I am not a futurist.