POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : missing disk space on server, need help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:47 EDT (-0400)
  missing disk space on server, need help (Message 49 to 58 of 58)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: missing disk space on server, need help
Date: 13 Nov 2007 21:33:33
Message: <473a5e7d@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>>> The allocation engine allocates a full block to a file, and does not
>>> allocate any additional ones until the present ones are full.
>>
>> How do you know?
>
> Well, put it this way: This is a trivial algorithm, and there is
> absolutely no *reason* why it would do anything different, so...

I thought Microsoft was generally considered a good reason to do
anything trivial wrong. ;-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 13 Nov 2007 21:39:25
Message: <473a5fdd$1@news.povray.org>

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>>> Unlike UNIX, it's not just a matter of seeking around. You have to
>>> open the file as a sparse file, then you have to say "hey, this area
>>> is sparse" rather than (say) just writing all zeros to the blocks or
>>> something.
>>
>> Not really... Cross-platform programs that don't use any
>> Windows-specific API manage to create sparse files here.
>
> I think if you write to it, regardless of what you write, you get
> allocated space. UNIX *used* to see an all-zeros buffer and say "Gee, we
> don't need to write that."  You didn't have to seek over the sparse
> space to make it sparse, IIRC.

Right, as far as I know, if you write 0s without using any special
Windows API, the 0s actually get written (that's the pre-allocation
download programs do).

Post a reply to this message