POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : missing disk space on server, need help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  missing disk space on server, need help (Message 39 to 48 of 58)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: missing disk space on server, need help
Date: 13 Nov 2007 13:04:37
Message: <4739e735$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:32:14 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:38:07 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> Open the file, write a little bit, close it. Open it again, append a
>>> little, close it. Repeat.  Possibly it requires other people to also
>>> have the file open at the same time, as for reading or something?
>>
>> Don't think so.
>
> I don't know. All I can say is that I've seen files with 2K length
> spread over half a dozen blocks as reported by defrag. :-)  I'm not sure
> what causes it.

At a guess, corruption. :-)
> Try running the defrag GUI version, look at the report, and see if
> things like your registry hives or event logs are fragmented and how
> much. In my expereince, it's not uncommon.

Hmmm, well, the only Windows I have installed is in VMware with virtual
disks, so I'm unlikely to run across this, I think.

>>  Sparse files I could see, but a proper sparse file
>> wouldn't shrink during a defrag, either, based on my own experiences,
>> because the "empty" space is as important as the real data is to the
>> application.
>
> Yah. Sparse files are already deallocated, so you can't really
> deallocate more.

Yep.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Nov 2007 13:06:13
Message: <4739e795$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:37:37 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> I mean, 43 fragments for a 1K ntuser.dat?  15 fragments for a 1K
> default.log? In a 4K cluster size?  Clearly, there has to be fragmented
> files with not-fully-packed blocks, if defrag is to be believed.

Weird.  Though based on my experiences with Active Directory, I'm not
inclined to believe what any Microsoft utility tells me.  I've seen two
different hardware diagnostics point fingers at each other, but with
Windows 2000 Server, I had a first - two programs that were intended to
tell me the health of my domain that couldn't agree with each other.
Both from the same vendor.

> Maybe that's the problem tho - the layout is right, the reporting is
> funky.

Could be.

Jim

Post a reply to this message