POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : missing disk space on server, need help : Re: missing disk space on server, need help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: missing disk space on server, need help
From: Alain
Date: 13 Nov 2007 19:39:43
Message: <473a43cf@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/12 13:58:
> Darren New wrote:
>> M_a_r_c wrote:
>>> "Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> a écrit
>>> dans le message de news: 473472c5$1@news.povray.org...
>>>
>>> I am not an expert but maybe if it optimizes disk occupation by
>>> filling blocks instead of letting empty portions of blocks.
>>
>> More precisely, if you have a fragmented file taking 3 blocks and
>> filling them each only 10%, defragging that file will free two blocks.
>
> More precisely, how would this situation arrise in the first place?
>
> The allocation engine allocates a full block to a file, and does not
> allocate any additional ones until the present ones are full.

How can you assume that it only allocate a single block? NTFS allocate some
cluster when you create a new file in an attempt to reduce fragmentation that
appens when several files are created at once and randomly filled. Once the file
is closed, the unused clusters are liberated. It does the same when all the
file's alocated space is filled ant it need some more disk space. That
prealocated space must reside in successive clusters.

--
Alain
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every