POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Motherboard question Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Motherboard question (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Rune
Subject: Motherboard question
Date: 7 Nov 2007 08:35:43
Message: <4731bf2f@news.povray.org>
My motherboard was sent to a repair four weeks ago and it's still at the
fabricant. I called the shop where I bought it, and they offered me a
replacement (because it has taken so long by now) - however, this
motherboard can no longer be bought, so I need to get a different model
instead, which he said I should find.

My question is - how big is the impact of inserting a new motherboard in an
existing computer? Will the computer start up like nothing has changed or is
a re-install of Windows necessary? I'm very reluctant to the latter, so I
might wait a bit longer if that is the case.

The other question - how do I find a motherboard compatible with all my
other hardware? I guess processor and graphics card is the only real issue?
The motherboard in question is a Asus A8N-SLI SE / nForce4 SLI / Sata 300.
So which newer model supports all the same things that this one does?

It really annoys me having to deal with all this when I just want my
computer to work again. :(

Rune

Post a reply to this message

> My motherboard was sent to a repair four weeks ago and it's still at the
> fabricant. I called the shop where I bought it, and they offered me a
> replacement (because it has taken so long by now) - however, this
> motherboard can no longer be bought, so I need to get a different model
> instead, which he said I should find.
>
> My question is - how big is the impact of inserting a new motherboard in an
> existing computer? Will the computer start up like nothing has changed or is
> a re-install of Windows necessary? I'm very reluctant to the latter, so I
> might wait a bit longer if that is the case.
>
> The other question - how do I find a motherboard compatible with all my
> other hardware? I guess processor and graphics card is the only real issue?
> The motherboard in question is a Asus A8N-SLI SE / nForce4 SLI / Sata 300.
> So which newer model supports all the same things that this one does?
>
> It really annoys me having to deal with all this when I just want my
> computer to work again. :(
>
> Rune

My understanding is that MS OEM software is tied to the motherboard.
It's their way of defining a computer so that you can change things like
the hard drive and what not.

So, if they send you a new motherboard (or even an exact model
replacement) MS can stick it to you.

As far as the drivers and stuff - I don't know.  If it is a very similar
motherboard you might be OK, but I always default to reinstalling myself
just to make things cleaner.

Good Luck!

Tom

Post a reply to this message

> My motherboard was sent to a repair four weeks ago and it's still at the
> fabricant. I called the shop where I bought it, and they offered me a
> replacement (because it has taken so long by now) - however, this
> motherboard can no longer be bought, so I need to get a different model
> instead, which he said I should find.
>
> My question is - how big is the impact of inserting a new motherboard in an
> existing computer? Will the computer start up like nothing has changed or is
> a re-install of Windows necessary? I'm very reluctant to the latter, so I
> might wait a bit longer if that is the case.
>
> The other question - how do I find a motherboard compatible with all my
> other hardware? I guess processor and graphics card is the only real issue?
> The motherboard in question is a Asus A8N-SLI SE / nForce4 SLI / Sata 300.
> So which newer model supports all the same things that this one does?
>
> It really annoys me having to deal with all this when I just want my
> computer to work again. :(
>
> Rune

As far as I know, you might need some chipset drivers, but not a full
reinstall (unless there is some retarded "activation" and "anti-piracy"
thing that doesn't work as it should, and locks you out for changing the
hardware).

Also, I think RAM could be another compatibility factor. *Many* years
ago, I wanted to put more RAM on my old computer, and the memory stick
we bought wasn't compatible because it lacked dunno-what-feature that
lets the mobo detect the RAM speed or something, and ended up with twice
the RAM (= a whole 256MB) running at 100MHz. Computer ran faster without
it... back to the shop...

Maybe nowadays there isn't such problem with RAM, but better ask :)

Post a reply to this message