POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In search of a search algorithm Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  In search of a search algorithm (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: In search of a search algorithm
Date: 3 Nov 2007 12:21:56
Message: <472cae34$1@news.povray.org>
Hi guys.

I'm guessing somebody here is likely to know the answer to this one...

I want a data structure that stores key/value pairs where the keys are
points in 3D space. In particular, I want to be able to *efficiently*
look up the N points nearest to any given location. (Hopefully it's also
fairly quick to add new points to the structure.)

The points don't have any particular arrangement. (They're certainly not
a regular grid - in that case, lookup would be quite simple.)

One algorithm I could use is to store a list of key/value pairs, and
sort the list by the distance between each key and the target point,
then read off the first few values in the list. This *works*, but it's
absurdly inefficient. (It's O(n log n) in the total number of entries.)
Does anybody know of something a little faster?

Post a reply to this message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest_neighbor_search
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kd_tree

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I'm guessing somebody here is likely to know the answer to this one...
>
> I want a data structure that stores key/value pairs where the keys are
> points in 3D space. In particular, I want to be able to *efficiently*
> look up the N points nearest to any given location. (Hopefully it's also
> fairly quick to add new points to the structure.)
>
> The points don't have any particular arrangement. (They're certainly not
> a regular grid - in that case, lookup would be quite simple.)
>
> One algorithm I could use is to store a list of key/value pairs, and
> sort the list by the distance between each key and the target point,
> then read off the first few values in the list. This *works*, but it's
> absurdly inefficient. (It's O(n log n) in the total number of entries.)
> Does anybody know of something a little faster?

Something like a K-dimension or a P-R-Quad Tree? I like K-D trees
because they are just binary trees with a fancy insert and delete.The
basic idea if that the depth from the root of the tree determines which
of the dimension you organize that level by. Compare by X at root, Y at
the next depth, Z next, then back to X and so on.

Searching also gives you the option of radius searches, so you can get
all key/values withing Q distance of X,Y,Z.

An R-Tree might also do what you want, but I haven't programed one.

Post a reply to this message